Message filters vanishing on re-start of Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kaz101

Message filters vanishing on re-start of Thunderbird

Post by kaz101 »

I'm interested in the replies to this problem here since my message filters have suddenly vanished every time Thunderbird re-starts.

I'm on version 2.0.0.21 (20090302) of Thunderbird (and Firefox 3.1.10).

I think it just started happening this week and at first I thought I'd done something wrong (I had been deleting emails and moving around subfolders and generally tidying up my email) but I can't get any filters to stay after Thunderbird is re-started.

To answer the questions that were asked of MPMcMahon:

#1 I have 11 accounts (some of which will be going soon which is why I was tidying up in the first place :D )

Looking at my default file profile I still have the msgFilterRules.dat under the mail folder. I've having problems finding which folder relates to the email account where the message filters are vanishing. I've set up a new filter message and can't find it in any of the msgFilterRules.dat files.... so now I'm confused.

By the way I also have a new tmprules.dat folder under my email folder in Thunderbird.

Something else I've noticed (not sure whether it's important or not) when I click on a mail account and the message filters it shows that for one account (su4all) it still has some message filters still set up. However when I scroll through the filters at the top of the message filter box (for the different email accounts) it doesn't show that of message filters even when I scroll back to su4all again.

So it appears that other message filters on other accounts are still there - the one where the message filters are vanishing is the first one in the list.

If you want me to start another thread rather than add to this one let me know but I think it could be the same problem....

Regards,
Karen
kaz101

Re: Message filters vanishing on re-start of Thunderbird

Post by kaz101 »

Another thing with tmprules.dat file

When it's deleted the message filters do not vanish (and you can see the data in the msgFilterRules.dat) so I thought I had it sorted BUT once you've deleted the tmprules.dat file then the message filters don't work!

I guess I should have left it to the experts!

Regards,
Karen
kaz101

Post by kaz101 »

The solution just posted at:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1258325&start=15

seems to have solved my problem apart from one message filter which doesn't want to run but any others I create are okay now. The one that doesn't work was one I had before I deleted the tmprules.dat file and even though it's a different name for some reason it doesn't do anything....

I can live with the other ones now working.

Regards,
Karen

Post by Guest »

seems to have solved my problem apart from one message filter which doesn't want to run
try delete the old filter and start over; they may seem identical on face value, but only that
kaz101

Post by kaz101 »

I have deleted the old filter, used a different name for the new one but it still doesn't run.

The filter is being placed in the message filter and is not being deleted but it doesn't run now. I even created it from a different email to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

Post by Guest »

. I even created it from a different email .
are all your filters created by being based on existing emails?
kaz101

Post by kaz101 »

Guest wrote:
. I even created it from a different email .
are all your filters created by being based on existing emails?

Yes. That includes the filters that work and the one that doesn't. :D The one that doesn't was one I was trying before I found the fix about the tmprules file. All the other news ones I've created work fine and it must be something strange about that one.

Post by Guest »

do the filters that work, and the one that doesn't, do they all appear in one same single list?

does the filter that doesn't work appear in the list AFTER the others, so after the others do their work, there's no work left for the single filter to do?
kaz101

Post by kaz101 »

Guest wrote:do the filters that work, and the one that doesn't, do they all appear in one same single list?

Yes they appear in the same list

Guest wrote:does the filter that doesn't work appear in the list AFTER the others, so after the others do their work, there's no work left for the single filter to do?

No it always appears first and the filters are on very different topics (there are still emails in my inbox after the filters have run). I've just tried changing where it is in the list and it still doesn't work.....

Tried creating the filter again and realised it was me - doh. Usually the email address is in the From section but on this email it's on the sender section so I was setting up the filter wrong. :oops:

Thanks for your help! I would have given up on it otherwise.

Regards,
Karen
martymobile

Post by martymobile »

kaz101 wrote:
Guest wrote:do the filters that work, and the one that doesn't, do they all appear in one same single list?

Yes they appear in the same list

Guest wrote:does the filter that doesn't work appear in the list AFTER the others, so after the others do their work, there's no work left for the single filter to do?

No it always appears first and the filters are on very different topics (there are still emails in my inbox after the filters have run). I've just tried changing where it is in the list and it still doesn't work.....

Tried creating the filter again and realised it was me - doh. Usually the email address is in the From section but on this email it's on the sender section so I was setting up the filter wrong. :oops:

Thanks for your help! I would have given up on it otherwise.

Regards,
Karen
msgFilterRules.dat I found this file under
C:\Documents and Settings\Marty Meyer\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\d3vb0e9w.default\Mail\pop3.wauknet.com\msgFilterRules.dat I can't get the filters to work on a regular basis