Right click to send email. Quit after Tbird update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
stuffdone

Re: Right click to send email. Quit after Tbird update

Post by stuffdone »

Totally screwed up. I hope they send a patch as well as a utility to put the sendto back to original working condition. I use that a LOT to email pdf bills to my customers. Not only screwed with my time fixing it ( which is still not working ) but now will also cost me more time doing attachments the hard way until they come up with a fix.

Post by Guest »

Great fix. Thanks a lot
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

stuffdone wrote:I hope they send a patch as well as a utility to put the sendto back to original working condition.

There are more instructions and also an executable utility to correct the registry entry in the respective bug report, where I'm not sure if this would work equally well on Win2k (especially if you have the executable in a different location on the E: drive). Patch is pending review.

@gcfkhckh: Do you think anybody did this on purpose? The attempt was to fix a long-standing issue with mozmapi32.dll for users with a Logitech webcam and possibly other software interfering with that mechanism...
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

While I don't think it was done intentionally, it is apparent it was done without testing before being deployed. I just had another call from a customer I service computers for. He was upset that the update also removed his sendto. He uses XP on his machines.

This is a sloppy update and I have turned of automatic updates and advised customers who use Tbird to do the same until I can feel confident the developers will think and test first. This has become a major head ache and will cost a lot of people time ( money ) when they use it for business emails as I do.

I am not sure re-installing an older version will fix it now that the sendto entry is gone.
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

I tried the manual. Afraid to try the download because I assume it assumes my Tbird is installed on C drive which it is not.

This is the path to my Tbird program.

E:\Program Files\Internet\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

Any more ideas? DEVELOPERS who deployed this, please weigh in with a fix. You owe it to Tbird users.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

stuffdone wrote:I tried the manual. Afraid to try the download because I assume it assumes my Tbird is installed on C drive which it is not.

Yes, that's what I would assume as well. I don't know enough about the MAPI mechanism and the Windows registry, thus I don't have any more advise.

I am not sure re-installing an older version will fix it now that the sendto entry is gone.

There are viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1314175 and viewtopic.php?p=6775355#p6775355 suggesting that reinstalling 2.0.0.22 actually resolved the issue (which was on Vista), thus the bug may only affect the automated updates but not fresh installations.

If you are maintaining a larger set of computers and want to check out an update before it rolls out to the general public, you can set up one of your machines to receive such updates earlier. Go into your installation folder, then enter "defaults" and "pref" folders. Open "channel-prefs.js" with Notepad and change "release" to "beta". This will offer you the next update 7-10 days before the actual release for testing, then you could inform your customers about an issue.

I agree that such glitches shouldn't happen, but occasionally they do (not just for this application). Apparently none of the beta testers had caught this bug in advance, otherwise the release would have been halted and a new version prepared to fix this. Now the only thing they can do is issue a quick 2.0.0.23 release with that problem fixed...
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

So any idea when the fixed update will arrive? I have auto updates turned off entirely so they won't happen unless I know when the fix will appear to turn back on.

Note also that the actual "mail" icon is gone from my sendto menu. That was a result of all the attempts to fix the problem so somehow I need to know how to restore that to the context menu. Nothing done so far has restored that. I have some doubts a patch will do that unless it assumes that option is now gone rather than just not working. I am sure many people messed around trying to find out what went wrong and may have lost it completely and need to get it back.

Paul
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

I installed the new version. Went ok but did nothing to fix the missing "send to" icon.

Hope someone can find a solution...this is a pain in the butt !
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

A patch is posted and needs the respective review, then it would go out to the beta channel again for testing after 2.0.0.23 installers and updates have been build. If that works out, another update would be released. No idea on the time line, but in comparable cases in the past (mainly with Firefox releases) that worked out fairly quickly.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Adakash wrote:If key DDLPath is empty, ...

That should be DLLPath, by the way.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776877.aspx gives some instructions on how to use the default settings in the "Custom" configuration, applicable to Win2k SP3 and higher. Maybe this will bring you back into a state where at least you can see which registry key has to be used to correct the DLLPath again (or search for the keys if they differ between Win2k and WinXP).

As another hint from the bug report, the recommendation there is to use mozMapi32_InUse.dll as file name, maybe that works.

Post by Guest »

After this, I have turned off the automatic updates. I didn't know this forum existed and I spent hours trying to fix this issue until I found the solution here. Before I install any updates I will check this forum for at least a week before installing anything.
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

I did not find anything related to restoring the icon to the right click menu. I have Tbird set as default email program and tried adding the entry to the registry as suggested. Nothing makes any difference. None of these restores the lost "send to" icon and the manually created entries do nothing at all....
cscotech

Post by cscotech »

Adakash wrote:To Jasse:

1. Click Start

<SNIP>

By adakash at 2009-06-23

2. enter "regedit" into command line
3. click "allow" when Windows asks to continue
4. Find \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird and clik it
5. In the right pane you should see DLLPath key
6. If it has no value, mark DLLPath, right click and choose modify
7. Enter location of your mozmapi32.dll (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozmapi32.dll) and click ok.

<SNIP>

Thats all.

Adakash-

I reading other threads that it should be set to "mozMapi32_InUse.dll" and NOT "mozmapi32.dll" - something about mozmapi32.dll previously causing issues and being the legacy way of referencing mapi. see comment #13 here https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499958#c13
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

As I said I have tried these already...this is a repeat of earlier suggestions. For me they did nothing at all. Still no email icon appears in context menu ( right click )
cscotech

Post by cscotech »

stuffdone wrote:As I said I have tried these already...this is a repeat of earlier suggestions. For me they did nothing at all. Still no email icon appears in context menu ( right click )

Do you see an icon for 'Mail Recipent' in the follow folder location?

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\SendTo\

If not you might try copying that file from another profile (Administrator possibly) into your profile and then reset the default email client in Control Panel - Internet Options - Programs

PS. The actual name of the file is 'Mail Recipient.MAPIMail' - you need to use the 'Search hidden files and folders' option to find it.