Right click to send email. Quit after Tbird update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
stuffdone

Re: Right click to send email. Quit after Tbird update

Post by stuffdone »

It is not currently there but was. Even editing it as suggested did nothing to solve the problem.

Note" It also appears that update messed up a bunch of other file associations as well.
cscotech

Post by cscotech »

Well now you know why the context menu option is not there now :D . I cannot say that the Thunderbird update caused this particularly given that you believe other file associations are incorrect which I do not recall anyone else reporting with the 2.0.0.22 update.

I didn't say you had to "edit" anything. You actually have to manually copy the 'Mail Recipient.MAPIMail' file over from another profile into your current profile location under C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\SendTo\ assuming the C: is your boot drive.
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

Earlier instructions told how to create that file if it was missing. I did...it didn't work. I don't have a copy anywhere else.
cscotech

Post by cscotech »

stuffdone wrote:Earlier instructions told how to create that file if it was missing. I did...it didn't work. I don't have a copy anywhere else.

I don't think you can create that file manually. Here is a link to a copy from my XP machine - http://files.getdropbox.com/u/361317/Mail%20Recipient.MAPIMail

Place that file in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\SendTo\
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You can try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182378 Method #2 to create it manually (Method #1 is to create it from Outlook). It appears that all what is needed is an empty file there with this name which then implicitly refers to the default e-mail client.
cscotech

Post by cscotech »

rsx11m wrote:You can try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182378 Method #2 to create it manually (Method #1 is to create it from Outlook). It appears that all what is needed is an empty file there with this name which then implicitly refers to the default e-mail client.

Good to know - here is the text from the KB Article:

Method 2: Create a Mail Recipient.MAPIMail file in the SendTo folder
Note This method only works if you are using a Messaging Application Programming Interface-based (MAPI-based) e-mail program as your default Simple MAPI client.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer.
2. Navigate to the appropriate folder.

Windows 95: Navigate to the Windows\SendTo folder.

Windows NT: Navigate to the Winnt\Profiles\<username>\SendTo folder, where <username> is the name you use to log on to Windows NT.
3. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Text Document. Name the document "Mail Recipient.MAPIMail" (without quotation marks).
4. When you are prompted to verify that you want to change the file name and its extension, click Yes.
5. Quit Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer.
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

This has been repeated many times. It does NOT work for me. Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Well, guess that's out of luck then. The KB article goes back to Win95 and WinNT, thus I had assumed that it should also work for Win2k (as it does for WinXP) with the Documents and Settings path.
cscotech

Post by cscotech »

stuffdone wrote:This has been repeated many times. It does NOT work for me. Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.

Did you try and download the file I linked to and try that?
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

I believe I responded to that saying that I did not but did the manual version. Mainly I believe the file is going to assume a default installation path for Tbird and my program is not in C: drive.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, we installed / updated to the new .22 version and everyone is indicating they no longer have a 'right' click (in the context menu) that 'properly' allows TB use for emailing. Basically get the message about not having a properly setup email client, see your admin. This is not a nice update!
stuffdone

Post by stuffdone »

No it was a poor undade causing a lot of trouble for a lot of people. I still cannot get a right click to send to work.

Thinking about moving pack to Pegasus !

Not even a "sorry" from the developers. And no help fixing the problem caused.

They should be doing all the research and posting the solution here rather than letting who knows how many people individually fight with this matter.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

If nothing helps (and only if you value the right-click feature higher than the security fixes), you can try uninstalling 2.0.0.22 (delete the entire Mozilla Thunderbird installation folder, shouldn't affect your profile which is at a different location), then reinstall 2.0.0.21 from scratch into your custom installation. Make sure that Mail Recipient.MAPIMail exists in C:\Documents and Settings\ user \SendTo\ before doing that so that Thunderbird can register whatever it needs to register. Since that version doesn't have the broken fix in it, the hope would be that the functionality is reestablished in this way. Your next update would be 2.0.0.23 then after the MAPI issue has been really fixed.

Developers usually don't stop by in the TB Support forum, they are in the TB Builds forum if at all. Some members of the QA team do occasionally also visit the support forum here.

BTW: 64-bit builds need a different entry for DLLPath, but that shouldn't apply to your Win2k installation (32-bit, I assume).
akren

Post by akren »

HELP!
I'm so frustrated right now. I am having the same issues as everyone else and I'm afraid I made things worse. I tried all the suggestions and still nothing. Now when I right click I don't even see the area that used to say "mail recipeient" It totally dissapeared.
Karen
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

By now, all information we seem to be aware of is either here (read the thread from the beginning) or in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1313135 (focus on the later pages there).

To summarize the information provided by the developers in the bug report:

The 32-bit repair utility and instructions for manual repair are here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499958#attach_384731

There is now also a repair utility available for Vista 64-bit with the different path:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499958#attach_385439

Note that these tools will only work if you use the default configuration during installation (e.g., no custom installation folder).