Hotmail POP3 Password Authentication Failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Phasar

Re: Hotmail POP3 Password Authentication Failed

Post by Phasar »

And also keep in mind that others are having the same problem I usefull answer here doesn't just help me out. It helps everyone out.

In allt he treads here I've looked at regarding this, there has never been a fix or answer posted. They all just died out.

And it's the same in the Windows help forums.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If you are using the Webmail extensions to get your hotmail, and there was an update to the Webmail extensions, it stands to reason that the extension updates have broken something.

Are you still using these extensions to get your mail? If so, check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=558335

And please do bear in mind that we are volunteers, and ARE trying to help and DO know that helping you can help others. But we don't have all the answers all the time.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

1. Since it's ATT that's giving out the wrong information about this, it is VERY relevant. Dan should not have made that suggestion for ATT.

2. I was NOT lecturing you, I was correcting a mistake.

3. Your attitude is not going to get you any further help. Bye.
Phasar

Post by Phasar »

smsmith wrote:If you are using the Webmail extensions to get your hotmail, and there was an update to the Webmail extensions, it stands to reason that the extension updates have broken something.

Are you still using these extensions to get your mail? If so, check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=558335

And please do bear in mind that we are volunteers, and ARE trying to help and DO know that helping you can help others. But we don't have all the answers all the time.

I uninstalled the extension and webmail to see if that would help, but it didn't do any good
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

See if anything in this article helps:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail

And please stop with the insulting comments to other users/members.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Actingup

Post by Actingup »

I was having this exact problem and I found the solution on a Live.com page. My Hotmail password was too long. It was originally 21 characters. I shortened it to 14 characters (I don't know the number needed, this is just what I did) and now it works fine.
Good luck, all
Newposter

Post by Newposter »

Actingup has the correct solution.

Post by Guest »

Here is some more useful (hopefully) information about this problem. In Thunderbird there are several places where the user name is specified. Account name and email address on the account name page. It looks like the one TB sends is the name on the Server Settings screen. I was having the same problem and read on one page that TB does not send the @live.com automatically. I updated the name on this screen by adding @live.com and it worked.

To all of the volunteers that help here, Thank you very much. Vince Radice
neddy

Post by neddy »

Thank you very much Actingup - I love it when a solution works.
InShanghai

Post by InShanghai »

was having username authentication issue as above. went to hotmail site and logged in as per usual. logged out. tried again to check hotmail account via Thunderbird and it worked. Don't know why, yet to find out whether on next boot up TB will work or not, but for now all is good.
hum

Post by hum »

Just shorten your password at your hotmail to under 10 digits I think, and it will function,
hum

Post by hum »

Should be mentioned in the download proces of tb. Made me uninstall it.
Beware of the gpa prg. My antispyware took it as a trojan.
hum

Post by hum »

Also I don´t understand that there is no start password for it, so that it can´t be opened and reveal the mails that already are on it.
Otherways it seems like a good solution for managing several email accounts.
GREAAAAT!!

Post by GREAAAAT!! »

Great Job! I've been searching for this everywhere!! Shortened password and now it works!!

Thank you!
wsitedesign

Post by wsitedesign »

Actingup wrote:I was having this exact problem and I found the solution on a Live.com page. My Hotmail password was too long. It was originally 21 characters. I shortened it to 14 characters (I don't know the number needed, this is just what I did) and now it works fine.
Good luck, all

I can agree, I just tried myself with this and my password was too long as well.