why does it say login to server imap.gmail.com failed?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
va62

why does it say login to server imap.gmail.com failed?

Post by va62 »

I have windows vista, and my school just changed emails with gmail.com... I would rather use Thunderbird but it keeps telling me login to server imap.gmail.com failed?
DanRaisch

Re: why does it say login to server imap.gmail.com failed?

Post by DanRaisch »

It's probably indicating that the server settings are not correct.
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* What kind of mail is that Gmail account set up for - POP, IMAP?
* Do you have other accounts set up in this installation of Thunderbird that are working?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?

Post by Guest »

Its an updated version...
It asks me for my passwork and after inputting it it says "Login to server imap.gmail.com failed"
I changed the email account to IMAP, and when my school moved our emails to gmail it stopped working.. I have AVG free 8.5.
Security for server settings is SSL, and for outgoing TLS...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:* Do you have other accounts set up in this installation of Thunderbird that are working?

* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?

Did you enter your full email address in the user name field under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings?
What is the domain of the email address for that account? Is it @gmail.com? If so, did you activate the account for IMAP access on the Gmail webmail page?