User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
I am a new user of thunderbird, but is a hard true that I used outlook for long time. My question is simple, when I try to open an msg file with attachments, Thunderbird can show me the text, but It can´t show me the files attachamented.
So, Can Thunderbird open *.msg with attachments?
Thanks for your answer.
Sorry Dan, but the problem is with .msg. For example, sometimes I need open an .msg file. I don´t have outlook. TB opens .msg and the text is possible to read without problems, but is impossible to view the files attached within the email because TB put a lot of characters.
How TB can show me the icons for extracting the files attached inside the .msg email?
I suggest the last one.
1. http://bitdaddys.com/outlookEMLandMSGconverter.html sells a Outlook .EML and .MSG converter but it requires Outlook to be installed. It seems to be sold under a couple of other names
2. http://www.sharewareconnection.com/outl ... ment-e.htm is another commercial product. MSGViewer can view, search, sort and print .MSG messages and extract or open file attachments. It claims it doesn't need Outlook.
3. http://www.devnewsgroups.net/group/micr ... 44092.aspx has a link to a free viewer that can view, search, print, and export msg files. I suspect it doesn't handle attachments though.
4. http://www.molecularbear.com/blog/?p=17 describes a way to convert .msg files using a msgconvert.pl Perl script (MSGConvert) at http://www.matijs.net/software/msgconv/ . Its last update was October 26, 2009 so it probably works. The problem is that you not only have to download and install Perl, but you need to download five Perl modules and whatever modules they depend upon from CSPAN. Messy.
5. http://code.google.com/p/ruby-msg/ has instructions for how to use ruby-msg to convert .MSG files to .EML files and a link to msgtool-1.3.1-mswin32-stand_alone , a standalone binary that doesn't require ruby to convert .msg files into mbox files. You could use the ImportExportTools add-on to import the .EML files.
If it works please let me know and I'll mention it in the appropriate knowledge base articles.
Thank you so much. Your advices were much better.
I was unable to uso the last tool, maybe i made a mistake in the command line. The other tools works very well. There is another commercial tool named Mesage viewer (lite or Pro version).
Thanks a lot again.
I think the best you can use is http:// .msg2eml.com it's comercial but it's only 5 us dollars, and can convert on the fly .msg to .eml and then call thunderbird to open the .eml converted.
You are replying to an elderly thread (2009). Locking. I suspect that the problem has either been solved or forgotten by now.
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests