Not checking email on startup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cewallace

Not checking email on startup

Post by cewallace »

On the old thunderbird when it started, it would check for email automatically. Now with TB 3 i have to click get messages for it to receive messages. I have the options set to check automatically and every ten minutes, for whatever reason this does not work. Any ideas or suggestion?
czech52

Re: Not checking email on startup

Post by czech52 »

√ Check for new messages at startup

Post by Guest »

czech52 wrote:√ Check for new messages at startup

What?

Post by Guest »

on the same page where you made the other selections, check the checkbox for
[√] Check for new messages at startup

Post by Guest »

cewallace wrote:On the old thunderbird when it started, it would check for email automatically. Now with TB 3 i have to click get messages for it to receive messages. I have the options set to check automatically and every ten minutes, for whatever reason this does not work. Any ideas or suggestion?

Guest wrote:on the same page where you made the other selections, check the checkbox for
[√] Check for new messages at startup

As i said, i have already done that...
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Did you also check "Automatically download new messages"? If you only check the options to check for new messages, that's all Thunderbird will do, check to see if there are new messages. It will wait for you to do something about it.
nzguy

Post by nzguy »

I have a similar problem - in Thunderbird 3, I have "Check for new messages at startup" and "automatically download new messages" checked but nothing happens until I do a manual download. After that, Thunderbird does regularly check for new messages and downloads them but the interval seems to be erratic - not the "every 5 minutes" that I have checked.
conbo

Post by conbo »

I had this problem as well. To fix it, under the "Server Settings" section, click on the "Advanced" button. Under the "Advanced Account Settings" click the "Include this server when getting mail" check box.
nzguy

Post by nzguy »

Thanks for the suggestion, Conbo, but if I have "Inbox for this server's account" selected as the place to download emails, "Include this server when getting mail" is grayed out.
Rusty!

Post by Rusty! »

I have the same problem too, proper annoying ](*,)
tilm4nn

Post by tilm4nn »

I had the same problem too.

After I disabled the "Folderpane Tools" Add-on which was broken in TB 3 anyway downloading of new messages at startup worked again. :)

Post by Guest »

tilm4nn, you are a legend - disabling "Folderpane Tools" worked like a charm, many thanks
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

FWIW...
There's a new version of Folder Pane Tools if needed.
> http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmail ... rpanetools
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
nzguy

Post by nzguy »

As mine was a completely new installation following a computer meltdown, I do not have "Folder Pane Tools" to disable and I still don't have emails automatically downloading at start up.

There are a number of other things that I don't like with Thunderbird 3. Does anybody know if there is any way to go back to Thunderbird 2?
yoga_yoda

Post by yoga_yoda »

I do not have folder pane tools. I have I have "Check for new mail every", "Automatically download new message", and "Include this server when getting new mail" all checked. The only addon I have is Enigmail. I see the same problem that it never seems to auto check or download email in Thunderbird 3. Please advise.