Not checking email on startup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Morality124

Re: Not checking email on startup

Post by Morality124 »

Folks, after completely new installation Windows 7 and then Thunderbird 3.0 i fixed not checking email at startup simply by:

1. Tools\Account Settings...\Account Actions\Set as Default
2. Restart the Thunderbird

i have only one email account and after i set it as default Thunderbird began to check for new messages at startup!

This also seems to work with multiple accounts as well. :)
Joedes

Post by Joedes »

The above post worked for me too finally.

I have 4 pop accounts. I highlighted my Main "Inbox" of which all my pop accounts are part of (Not any of the individual accounts). Then I clicked Tools > Account Settings. Next, in the drop down menu on the bottom left I noticed that the Set as Default was grayed out. I then selected my first pop account header in the box above the Account actions drop down and retried and chose Set as default which this time was available. I did this for all four of my pop accounts and clicked ok and restarted the application and Voila - success. Good Luck!
Chris1808

Post by Chris1808 »

The set as default suggestion also worked for me

version 2.0.0.23 available from here
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=th ... lang=en-GB

On a side note, is there any way to get the front end back from 2.0.0.23 & retain the bug fixes / features in 3
Yes there is here http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mess ... nderbird_2
Last edited by Chris1808 on February 27th, 2010, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
obionenairobi

Post by obionenairobi »

Vladimir2010 wrote:Folks, after completely new installation Windows 7 and then Thunderbird 3.0 i fixed not checking email at startup simply by:

1. Tools\Account Settings...\Account Actions\Set as Default
2. Restart the Thunderbird

i have only one email account and after i set it as default Thunderbird began to check for new messages at startup!

-------------------------------

This did the trick for me :-)

Thanks
ctry123

Post by ctry123 »

I have a similar problem - in Thunderbird 3, I have "Check for new messages at startup" and "automatically download new messages" checked but nothing happens until I do a manual download. After that, Thunderbird does regularly check for new messages and downloads them but the interval seems to be erratic - not the "every 5 minutes" that I have checked.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

ctry123,
Please remove the spammy, commercial link. Thanks.

[edit]Link removed.[/edit]
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Post by Guest »

"Set as Default" worked for me also! That problem was driving me crazy!!!

Post by Guest »

"Set as Default" also fixed the problem for me.
avery sloan

Post by avery sloan »

My version 3.1 checks for mail and start up and I find that very annoying. I have it set to NOT CHECK but it does it anyway. How do I fix this?
Chris1808

Post by Chris1808 »

try removing the store password from
tools--> options--> Security--> Password tab --> Saved passwords
this will allow you to start thunderbird without downloading any messages (works with the check for new messages at start-up ticked)
Yleeyas

Post by Yleeyas »

Thanx Vladimir2010,
The 'set as default' fix did the trick :)
DavidGGG2

Post by DavidGGG2 »

Thunderbird doesn't check for messages at startup and doesn't check for new messages every 3 minutes as I set it to several months ago. I haven't changed anything but there was an update a couple or so weeks ago and I believe it happened then. Can't choose "Set as Default" it is greyed out since I only have 1 account (used to have 2 but deleted one two months ago).
Puppy2012

Post by Puppy2012 »

DavidGGG2 wrote:Thunderbird doesn't check for messages at startup and doesn't check for new messages every 3 minutes as I set it to several months ago. I haven't changed anything but there was an update a couple or so weeks ago and I believe it happened then.
Yes https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1196662
DavidGGG2

Post by DavidGGG2 »

Thanks. Sound like it could be the same thing. I use Power Save Mode, and it does check mail sporadically.
RobertAlder

Post by RobertAlder »

Me too. Automatic checking of POP email accounts is not 'happening. Nor does the "Get Messages All folders" button do anything.

I'm new to Thunderbird, having just converted from my old beloved POCO mail. Using TB v38.2.0 in Windows 10. I have three Pop email accounts, each set up for "Check for mail at TB startup" plus every 5 minuets. All three Pop account servers instructions are set up to divert all incoming email the INBOX of Local folders. And my PC never goes into Sleep or Hibernation. It's set to turn off monitor in 30 minutes, but the "Never" sleep.

Neither the "On TB startup" or the "Every 5 minutes" are working. However I know they are set up correctly because I can manually check for mail at each of the three accounts individually and it properly goes to the ISP and if mail is there in flows properly into my Local Folders INBOX just fine. When checking each of the accounts manually, the Status bar shows the activity, i.e. that it addresses the ISP and if there is mail, it downloads and if none, the Status bar says "no mail available."

So, why the heck don't the auto retrieve (on TB startup or at 5 minute intervals) work and why doesn't the single "get mail for all accounts" button" work?

I've tried turning off both the auto retrieves (on start up and every 5 minutes), but the single button (to do all three) still doesn't do anything.

What am I missing? Or is the a bug. From reading other posts, sounds like a serious TB bug to me. Now to get my mail I have to manually go get it (periodically) from each of the three accounts. A big pain. I'd sure welcome any advice.