Not checking email on startup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
RobertAlder

Re: Not checking email on startup

Post by RobertAlder »

I'm still at a loss. Followed the thread on:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1196662
This said to install ver 41 (Beta) to "fix" what problems were in that thread (similar) and the thread is now labeled "Fixed." NOT!

I did download and install v 41.0 beta, but issues are the same. That is, I can manually download each of my thee POP accounts just fine. But neither the Check all folders upon startup nor the Get Messages button are working. Mercifully, the auto check every x-minutes does work!!!! Yeah. At least, if TB open, after I manually check the three folders, it will check all three accounts periodically. Just not automatically upon opening TB nor using the Get Messages button. Start to make me nuts.
RobertAlder

Post by RobertAlder »

Well, I'm embarrassed. See following posting.
Last edited by RobertAlder on October 2nd, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertAlder

Post by RobertAlder »

Well, I'm embarrassed. The reason that TB didn't check email in my three accounts upon startup nor did the "Get Messages" button work, was MY fault. DUH!!! They weren't configured properly The solution?:

For each account (Tools > Account Settings) go to each account's "Server Settings." Then there is an "Advanced" button (in the lower "Message Storage" section). After clicking on that
"Advanced" button you can do two things:
1) redirect incoming mail to your LOCAL INBOX (which is what I've done with all three of my accounts).
But most importantly you can also
2) Most important to my problem, I'd failed to check the box to "Include this server when checking mail."

Duh!!!!! Box now checked and problem solved. Seems so obvious now.

Why this is so hidden the menu structure's "Advnaced" setting is a bit irritating, but.....problem solved.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Thanks for reporting back. It should help others with a similar problem -- at least those who bother to try to find existing posts on their issue.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DavidGGG2

Post by DavidGGG2 »

Seems to be working now in 38.3 (tried from power save mode & that it checks every 3 minutes)
Good job (like Hancock says)
JeffLeites

Post by JeffLeites »

I know this is an old post, but I just starting having this problem, and may have found a fix for it. Messages did not download when I started T-Bird on my Notebook, but did download when I started T-Bird on my Desktop. Same version of T-Bird and OS on both computers, and all the right boxes checked.

Just for grins, I clicked on File, Get new messages, All accounts. After that, it I could see it checking for messages every time I opened T-Bird... at least so far.