Not checking email on startup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
afromme

Re: Not checking email on startup

Post by afromme »

Disabling Folderpane tools worked great for me. Thanks for that!
nzguy

Post by nzguy »

Now I am thoroughly confused - without making any changes at all to Thunderbird 3, it has suddenly decided to check for new emails on startup. All on its own. What very strange software. Please help me to go back to Thunderbird 2.

Post by Guest »

conbo wrote:I had this problem as well. To fix it, under the "Server Settings" section, click on the "Advanced" button. Under the "Advanced Account Settings" click the "Include this server when getting mail" check box.

This worked for me. Now working perfectly. If you check the boxes against Check messages on startup, check messages every x minutes, download messages automatically. And Conbo's suggestion then it works. If the Include this server when getting mail option is greyed out, you need to select "Global Inbox"
guest275

Post by guest275 »

But I don't wanna use a friggin' Global Inbox.

Someone please fix this problem, it's amazing that this should not work. Thunderbird 3 is not doing the reputation of Mozilla any good at all.

Btw: the Confirmation Codes are completely retarded here. Please change them to something that is actually readable by the human eye.
batman2010

Post by batman2010 »

I fixed this by:-

1. Untick "Check new messages at startup", click Ok.
2. Go back in and re-tick "Check new messages at startup".
3. Restart the thunderbird and new messages appear.

Even though the option was ticked, it had lost the setting for some reason. Looks like a bug.
Vladimir2010

Post by Vladimir2010 »

Folks, after completely new installation Windows 7 and then Thunderbird 3.0 i fixed not checking email at startup simply by:

1. Tools\Account Settings...\Account Actions\Set as Default
2. Restart the Thunderbird

i have only one email account and after i set it as default Thunderbird began to check for new messages at startup!
arby_nospam

Post by arby_nospam »

nzguy wrote:As mine was a completely new installation following a computer meltdown, I do not have "Folder Pane Tools" to disable and I still don't have emails automatically downloading at start up.

There are a number of other things that I don't like with Thunderbird 3. Does anybody know if there is any way to go back to Thunderbird 2?

Try http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... atest-2.0/

By the way - I have this problem too, also following a hard drive failure and fresh install (which is the only reason why I went from 2.0 to 3.0). No fix presented here has helped so far. Will probably be downloading 2.0.0.23 tomorrow. (Is it me, or is all software becoming buggier this year?)

Post by Guest »

Vladimir2010 wrote:Folks, after completely new installation Windows 7 and then Thunderbird 3.0 i fixed not checking email at startup simply by:

1. Tools\Account Settings...\Account Actions\Set as Default
2. Restart the Thunderbird

i have only one email account and after i set it as default Thunderbird began to check for new messages at startup!

Had this problem, too, and the above suggestion worked perfectly! Thank you :D
nzguy

Post by nzguy »

Hey arby_nospam, where did you find 2.0.0.23 available for download?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sheesh.....Are you too tired to scroll up one or 2 posts to see the link?
Sorry... but sometimes it just gets too ridiculous for words. Image
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BedsMac

Post by BedsMac »

I have the same problem as above! Have set my accounts server set up to receive every 5 minutes or less for some accounts. I read "To fix it, under the "Server Settings" section ...."! Is that the same as I have done in Tools/accounts/SMTP server settings? I have Thunderbird 3 but running on a Mac on OSX. Is there any difference between Mac and PC versions as i can't find the above. I have just received an email after clicking "Get Mail" with a date/time of 10 minutes difference after I changed all my accounts to 5 mins or less. Do I have to restart Thunderbird for it to reformat itself to my new receive times?
BedsMac

Post by BedsMac »

LIMPET235 wrote:Sheesh.....Are you too tired to scroll up one or 2 posts to see the link?
Sorry... but sometimes it just gets too ridiculous for words. Image

Limpet ... if you can't give a little more help to the unwashed and needy then please don't post at all! [-X

Far be it from me to invite any more sarcasm, but I think I have solved my problem.

I hadn't checked the new messages at start up and auto download new messages so hopefully all will be ok now. [-o<
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

@ BedsMac...
I see the above ^^^^ post happen all too often.
It seems as though people are not able to help themselves unless given a prod. Image
I appreciate your concern but please don't read into my post what was not intended. :)
Thank you.
Nzguy asked a Q, & the answer was just 2 posts directly above his.
I simply gave him the directions to it.....(in a round-about way.)
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

nzguy

Post by nzguy »

How sad that a moderator should make the sort of sarcastic trash response to a request for help that so many so-called IT professionals seem to think more appropriate than giving a simple helpful response. It's the sort of thing that I expect from ISP help desks - not from Mozilla. And, LIMPET235, please explain just where can I "scroll up one or 2 posts" to find the answer to my question? If you are refering to the link "http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/latest-2.0/", that leads to just an index of a server directory with no sign of a download for 2.0.0.23.

Anyway, this is all academic, I've had so many problems with Thunderbird 3 that I am giving up and going over to Outlook. As much as I try to avoid MS software, its just too hard to get Thunderbird 3 to work satisfactorily. Unhelpful and rude interjections from Mozilla moderators is just the last nail in the coffin.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Sorry. Didn't mean to come out that way.
I thought the link would've been "self explanatory."
& I'm certainly not an IT Professional by any means.
The link goes to all the releases & you choose which you require.
I suss that you need the Win32 version which, when selected, gives you another choice
of which language you need.
A very simple process that "we" did not design.
Sorry that you didn't understand it.
We are not Mozilla.org/,com. Just users assisting users.
You could try the official help site if you like.
> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Good luck with you choice.