Setup Thunderbird using Davmail to access Outlook Web Access

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
VBemmel

Re: Setup Thunderbird using Davmail to access Outlook Web Access

Post by VBemmel »

Sorry,

Davmail replies with "Authentication failed, invalid user or password. try again with domain/user"
Could the domain/user configuration be the trick, and if so, what should it look like?
http://webmail.tsedu.nl/loginname ? Didn't work.

Post by Guest »

I got the same problem with the message "Authentication failed, invalid user or password". I tried with both username, and domain\username. In the log, I can see that "domain\username" is shown as "domain\\username" .

Don't know what's wrong. Search around on Google but I couldn't reach the solution yet. Please help. Thanks a lot.
mtcstle

Post by mtcstle »

I've set Davmail and Thunderbird up as discussed here. It is definitely connecting. I can see mail in a number of folders. Just now, after five minutes or so, it has changed from "Downloading 6 of 116 in Inbox," to Downloading 9 of 116 in Inbox." Perchance, is it downloading large attachments?

FYI, I have a terminal open watching Davmail's activity, every minute or two, it scrolls a hundred lines or so, then rests. Oh, It just jumped to "Downloading 12 of116 in Inbox." At this rate it will be long time getting to 116.
marek287

Re: Setup Thunderbird using Davmail to access Outlook Web Ac

Post by marek287 »

Have anyone solve this probleb: "Authentication failed, invalid user or password. try again with domain/user"?
marek287

Post by marek287 »

Hello
I solve finally the problem.
Find hidden file .davmail.properties and add into this file line: C:/documents and settins/user
davmail.enableEws=true
Now I have another problem. Its shows only one mail on every folder and sometimes gives error: "ews end point not available"
Read more:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=909905
ooonor

Post by ooonor »

Thank you. This worked perfectly!
juliomac

Post by juliomac »

It worked for me doing exactly the opposite.

My company has Exchange 2003 with OWA and no IMAP nor POP enabled.

Though I had the correct domain\name and password entered, still Davmail was reporting "Authentication failed ... check domain\name ..."

I edited the davmail.properties and left the davmail.enableEws=false (it was true).

On Mac OSX you have to go to your home directory and edit the davmail.properties file. Goggle for knowing how to show this hidden file on Finder.
andyMozillaOnline

Post by andyMozillaOnline »

Thankyou vBemmel, I know it is a long time since your post but thankyou! this is the only way I have had any success all day and I have researched a way to do this for so long. This setup works perfectly. Thank you to DavMail and Thunderbird aswell. Lost any trust in Microsoft Outlook or Mac Mail.

I can now officially work from home.
Cheers guys
Gordon Freeman

Post by Gordon Freeman »

I had the same problem - "Invalid username/password". I've found out that the field "Default windows domain" has to be empty - then it worked ](*,)
glenmaps

Post by glenmaps »

jcampen wrote:Ok! I have it all sorted and have Thunderbird working with Davmail and thanks to the guy at Davmail.
Hear are the settings that have it working.

Setup of Davmail:
OWA(Exchange)URL: https://email.thecompanyname.com/exchange/ (note that the URL must be appended with /exchange/ for Exchange server 2003 or older and with /owa/ for Exchange 2007)
IMAP port: 1143
Local SMTP: 1025
Caldav HTTP:1080
Loal LDAP: 1389

Thunderbird Setup:
Account Type: IMAP
Server Name: localhost ("localhost" is used if Davmail is running locally which in my case it is)
User Name: loginname (same as your mail login user name)
Use secure connection: None
Port: 1143 (note added the 1 in front to match the same in Davmail settings)

Outgoing SMTP:
Server: localhost ("localhost" is used if Davmail is running locally which in my case it is)
User: loginname (same as your mail login user name)
Port: 1025 (note added the 10 in front to match the same in Davmail settings)
Security: None

Hope this helps any others who had same trouble as me. Cheers

Thanks a lot jcampen, this is superb... Been searching for this!
Gshan

Post by Gshan »

We just switched where I work to Microsoft Exchange OVA 2010 and Thunderbird no longer works. Our IT people tell me that it will never work because they are not going to enable IMAP access, the reason being that there are security issues with both IMAP (and POP, which they will also not enable). So, I'm stuck doing email through Outlook. But what are the security issues with IMAP that OWA corrects?
whoot

Post by whoot »

Thanks so much for that jcampen! Fixed my problems :D
jet001

Post by jet001 »

Thanks to everyone who has posted here - it has helped me to get Davmail and Thunderbird working to access my Exchange 2003 email on my new Macbook running Lion! Hurrah! Now on to sorting out ical!
al123456

Post by al123456 »

I hoped to find something on configuring calendar in this thread, but I guess it's not the most pressing topic. So, I'll ask it.
Has anyone configured Lightning successfully? And if the answer is yes, please post how you did this. I've posted this question on the Calendar forum http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2404139&e=0
RaviR

Post by RaviR »

Hi, I am trying to find davmail.properties file in MAC and i am not able to find it. I saw the instruction that i need to go to home directory and search, but no luck after enabling hidden file search as well, can you someone help me on this ?