TB 3.0 doesn't see imap folders made outside of TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cm78

TB 3.0 doesn't see imap folders made outside of TB

Post by cm78 »

Hi folks,

I use cyrus imapd (cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-83.22) as an imap server and regularly transfer imap mailboxes using imapsync (imapsync,v 1.153) on linux.

imapsync is a great tool for massmigration of imap folders across imap-servers and with thunderbird 2.x I had no further problems.

Now with TB 3.0 I cannot see nor subscribe to any folders created by imapsync. Checking back with TB 2.x, I can see and subscribe to them. After this, they are accessible by TB 3.0. When I again unsubscribe those folders in TB 3.0 they are lost again for TB 3.0.

Anyone seeing the same? Any ideas?

cm78
tanstaafl

Re: TB 3.0 doesn't see imap folders made outside of TB

Post by tanstaafl »

My main email account uses a Cyrus v2.3.16-fmsvn IMAP server (Fastmail) and Thunderbird 3.0 shows any folder I create in webmail if I uncheck tools -> account settings -> server settings -> advanced -> show only subscribed folders. I have no problem subscribing to any folder created in webmail.

The imapsync man page mentions --subscribed and --subscribe command line arguments. Perhaps you need to use them with 3.0.

I've used IMAPSize (rather than imapsync) in the past though I haven't used it since upgrading to 3.0.
cm78

Post by cm78 »

Thanks for your reply.

Using the --subscribe argument seems to be a workaround. :-)

Anyway, once unsubscribed, TB 3.0 doesn't show those folders again. So there must be another difference in imap-handling in TB 3.0 vs. TB 2.x.

IMAPSize is nice, too, but it's got some nasty bugs in it, especially when handling huge imap-mailboxes.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ . If you do that please post a link to it.
cm78

Post by cm78 »

It's something like https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=529618

So I hope it's being worked on already. Pretty annoying bug, I might add.

Is it safe to downgrade to TB 2 with a TB profile already used by TB 3?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes, though that might create a pseudo smart folders account that you can't delete except by editing prefs.js. Its not clear yet if that has any harmful sideffects. Some people don't get that account, some get it grayed out, and some have it enabled.

It did cause problems when I switched from a beta to 2.0.0.23 (gradually corrupted the index files) for along period of time. However I'm currently sharing a profile with 2.0.0.23, 3.0 and the latest 3.0 trunk build with no obvious problems though I don't run 2.0.0.23 much anymore.

If it causes problems see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird for how to transfer stuff to a new profile.

Your passwords are stored in a different file in 3.0 but it didn't delete the file used by 2.0.0.23 to store passwords, so unless you changed them that shouldn't be a problem. You may have to customize the toolbar again.
cm78

Post by cm78 »

Thank you. Your've very helpful.