Connection to server timed out?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jmorris7

Connection to server timed out?

Post by jmorris7 »

I keep getting an error message: Connection to server (server name) is timed out. I tried to reconfigure the settings but nothing has helped. I checked my webmail and it is working.

Can anyone help?
DanRaisch

Re: Connection to server timed out?

Post by DanRaisch »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message that you are receiving? (Please include the server name. That information does not represent privacy issue.)
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Is this a new installation, a recently updated installation, or an installation that has been working but now has this problem?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
4P5RGOIW

Post by 4P5RGOIW »

Not the original poster, but I have the same problem:

Thunderbird 3.0.1
"Connection to server pop.secureserver.net timed out."
POP (As far as I know)
Web-based, I guess. It's from GoDaddy and has a web based option at least.
I am using anti virus and firewall, CA Anti-Virus and CA Firewall. I used to be able to get e-mails from this same account, but then the account changed servers. After that, I briefly had it working but it somehow got screwed up. Am now doing a complete reinstall of Thunderbird (including new profile) and can't get this account running. Another Thunderbird e-mail account on this computer seems to work fine.

Server name: pop.secureserver.net Port:143
Connection security - none
Outgoing I have using the same setting as my other e-mail program (smtp.nycap.rr.com Port: 587) It half works. The e-mails go out like they are supposed to and arrive at their destination, but the problem is I get a box that says "Copying message to sent folder" when I send it that just keep on running the scroll bar forever, without end.
4P5RGOIW

Post by 4P5RGOIW »

Also have tried port 110, which is the port I found in the directions at GoDaddy. But when I use that post setting and try to get mail I get a different error message:

"Mail server pop.secureserver.net is not an IMAP4 mail server."

So I don't know which is correct, the 110 port GoDaddy says to use with no SSL or the 143 port which TB came up with.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Was this new account set up by the New Account Wizard in 3.0.1? If so, check to confirm that the account was setup as a POP type account and non IMAP account. If it does not indicate that it is a POP account you'll want to remove and recreate the account. When doing so, click on the "Stop" button when the Wizard is searching for the settings for GoDaddy. Then click on the "Manual Settings" button and enter the settings listed in the entry for GoDaddy in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_acco ... _providers
4P5RGOIW

Post by 4P5RGOIW »

Yes I used the Wizard, and yes it was labeled as an IMAP account instead of a POP account, so your diagnosis was right. The other settings were correct when compared to what was directed in your linked article. (Except that I'm using the outgoing server for my other account, which seems to be working fine).

But it just got me a new problem. Now I get the message "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.secureserver.net responded: authorization failed" when trying to download e-mails. The password works fine for the webmail version of this account, so it's the right password.

Maybe that means the problem is with GoDaddy, I don't know.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What did you enter for the user name in the POP settings? If you entered the full email address, try just the bit before the @ symbol. If you entered just the bit before the @ symbol, try entering the full address.
4P5RGOIW

Post by 4P5RGOIW »

I'm not certain what "user name" is. I don't see that listed under the account settings. They just show "Account Name" and "Your Name" from what I see. I'll guess it's Account Name, since as far as I know Your Name is just what shows up to identify you when you send an e-mail.

I had the whole e-mail address previously, so I changed the account name to part before the @. Still get "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.secureserver.net responded: authorization failed"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, I was referring to "User name" in the Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings dialog.
4P5RGOIW

Post by 4P5RGOIW »

Changing the User Name did the trick Dan, thanks much for your patience and advice.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're very welcome.

Post by Guest »

Guys I am facing this time out problem too. I tried to set up on Outlook it refused to work, tried Thunderbird now again it times out. I am behind company's firewall and I have no control over the firewall. I have tried to use it on webmail only mail2web works by I hate it because too much ads on it and you can not customize it. Please helpppppppppppp!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Guest, we'll need more information if we are to try to help you.
* Is this a new installation of Thunderbird or one that you have updated and now have this problem?
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* What kind of mail are you trying to connect to - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
DoubleFelix

Post by DoubleFelix »

I am not "guest" but I am having this problem.

I began having this problem about 5 days ago. It only is on the outbound (SMTP) side and is intermittent, which is to say that 95% of the time when sending I get the timeout message, but 5% of the time the messages actually go through. Coincidentally, I started receiving Thunderbird 3.0 tabs at about the same time. I think Thunderbird downloaded something at that time. I believe I was already on Thunderbird 3.0, running perfectly, before this problem cropped up. I did not change any settings on Thunderbird or at GoDaddy.

I am on 3.0.3

I can't give the exact wording of the message because right this minute everything is working. It seems to accept the credentials, but never proceeds to the phase where it transmits the message contents. It is basically a timeout message.

I use Avast. I don't think there has been a download of new code for a few weeks. Only the virus DB has been updated recently.

I have no problem fetching emails via POP. My SMTP settings are:
- Server name: smtpout.secureserver.net
- Port: 25 Also tried 80 and 3535 per GoDaddy instructions
---- 3535 worked like 25. 80 took much longer to timeout
- User name and password is checked
- User name is in the form of xxxxx@xxxxx.com
- Use server authentication is unchecked
- Connection Security pull-down is None
---- That pulldown was set to STARTTLS if available when my system was working reliably.
---- But that pulldown option is no longer available

=== UPDATE

Message text is "Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtpout.secureserver.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator."
DoubleFelix

Post by DoubleFelix »

Speaking with a GoDaddy tech rep today, he said they they were currently investigating some SMTP problems related to relays.