Re: Filter File Error

Post by makaiguy »

Customizing tags:
    Menu Path:
      [In Windows]: Tools | Options, or
      [In OSX]: Thunderbird | Preferences, or
      [In *nix]: Edit | Preferences
      .. then Display | Tags | Edit

I know of no way to REMOVE a tag via a filter. When I want to set a marker that I'd like to later reset via a filter, I use Priority. Nobody ever sends a message marked as Low priority, so I can mark a message as Low priority and then set it back to Normal later via a filter.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
btreloar

Post by btreloar »

Thanks! I'm off to re-label my Tags ..... I think.

Oh - priority as a marker - cool idea. I didn't think of priorities, because I used Eudora up until last week, and Junk mail automatically gets given a low priority.

Here's my dilemma: I have three main work "personalities" with a Local Folders mailbox for each. I would need three usable priorities to assign them to so I could, after all the other filters have run, filter these emails back into their three appropriate mailboxes. Now, I'm using Label1, Label2 and Label3 from the Tags ...

I have to think there's a better way to do this, isn't there?
Bill Treloar
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy bill,

tags used to be named labels. [*grin*] that's why the default tags [important, work ...] have names like "label1". if you make your own tags then you will see them with more readable names. for instance, i have a tag that shows in tb3 as "Customer_Service" and when i look at the source of a msg tagged with that tag [or at the raw filter in the filter file], i see "customer_service". odd that it drops the case to all lower, but it's still there.

i don't think it's wise to try to rename the default tags. if you don't like them, then make new ones and use those. you can also delete the old ones if desired. um, er, AFTER you are sure you won't need them! [*grin*]

editing tags is here ...
Tags - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

... along with a buncha stuff on tags.

i use the tag toolbar addon here ...
Tag Toolbar

... to help me manage sets of tags. it's pretty handy.

on the 2nd gotcha ...

the problem is that filters AUTO-run only on you inbox. you can't auto-magically run filters on any other mailbox. for instance, i have a custom "forums" folder that i occasionally run filters on to move msgs to more appropriate folders. that folder NEVER has any filters auto-run cuz auto-run is only available on an inbox.

it's not often a prob for most folks as they usually want filters run only when msgs are rcvd and that's taken care of by the inbox-auto-run feature.

it IS an occasional prob for folks who go hog wild with filters, tho. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

as makaiguy pointed out, there is no way [now] to remove a tag via filters. it's a requested feature in bugzilla, tho. lookee ...
- There is no message filter action to remove tags
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=545586

if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

plus, there's this addon ...
FiltaQuilla

... that can remove a tag via filters.

take care,
lee
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Lee_Dailey wrote:the problem is that filters AUTO-run only on you inbox. you can't auto-magically run filters on any other mailbox. for instance, i have a custom "forums" folder that i occasionally run filters on to move msgs to more appropriate folders. that folder NEVER has any filters auto-run cuz auto-run is only available on an inbox.

If you do a search for run filters here you'll find several extensions that can add a "run filters on [this] folder" button to your toolbar. Your filters still won't run automatically on a non-inbox folder, but you can manually run them with a single mouse click instead of having to go into the Tools menu. I'm using this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4393

See this article in this forum's Knowledge Base if you need help in installing Thunderbird extensions:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions_-_Thunderbird
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy makaiguy,

doesn't that button run the "tools/run-filters-on-folder" command from the menus? there was NIFTY addon by ausdilecce that added a context menu to the folder and allowed selecting specific filters to run on that folder. frank moved on and his many wonderful addons are abandoned. [*sigh ...*] hopefully his "real life" is going well, tho. [*grin*]

i vaguely recall that there was an rfe in bugzilla to add triggers to the filter system. things like time, date, new msg moved into a folder ... that kinda stuff. not likely to show up any time soon, tho.

take care,
lee

ps- found it! lookee ...
- Filters should have triggers
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59365
-lee
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Lee_Dailey wrote:doesn't that button run the "tools/run-filters-on-folder" command from the menus?
Yep, that's why I said:
Your filters still won't run automatically on a non-inbox folder, but you can manually run them with a single mouse click instead of having to go into the Tools menu.

Lee_Dailey wrote:frank moved on and his many wonderful addons are abandoned. [*sigh ...*] hopefully his "real life" is going well, tho. [*grin*]

While looking for something else on the web, I actually ran into a link that led me to Frank in his current situation. He is doing fine, but sadly is too busy to return to us in the TBird world, at least for now. We can only hope things will ease up and we'll get him back some time in the not-too-distant future. Once out of the pressure cooker of maintaining and supporting extensions, though, I expect it would be very difficult to force oneself back in.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy makaiguy,

thanks for the info! if you should happen to frank sometime soon, please give him my best wishes.

take care,
lee
cbuck1

Post by cbuck1 »

Is there somewhere that I can find a list of msgFilterRules.dat values?

My filters were working fine then all of a sudden stopped working. Is there a limit to how many entries can be applied to one filter? For example, I have a "Not Junk" filter that is packed with Email addresses.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy cbuck1,

there is a better way to do that ...
- ensure the addresses are in one of your address books
- test for membership in that address book instead of for specific addresses
- test for more abooks as needed

for instance, i test for membership in ...
- each of my main address books
- a special address book for newsletters

saves lots of hassle, makes it easier to read, and easier to maintain. [*grin*] my chief gripe is that you can't use a mailing list to test against, only address books.

- have local mailing lists show up in "filter by addressbook" AB picker
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=180013

IMPORTANT!
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee