MozillaZine

Thunderbird freezing on Mac OS 10.6.2

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jwbworks

Post Posted March 19th, 2010, 5:44 am

Hello all,

yesterday morning I encountered an issue where my Mac would not wake up out of hibernation. After doing a hard power off, having several tries of failed restarts (stuck at apple gray screen), a safe mode restart, and a normal restart, I got my mac back up in running. Since that has happened I have had times where my mac just freezes up. After trouble shooting with the apple care rep we found the freezing is only happening when Thunderbird is on.

Basically at random times Thunderbird will freeze, and you get the rainbow spinner cursor. Then one by one everything else freezes (doc, cmd+tab, top tool bar) Eventually after 5 - 10minutes the system will come back up.

I tried deleting Thunderbird and redownloading, but the issue still occurs. what should I do to fix this situation.

System
Mac Book Pro (intel based)
2.8 Ghz processor
8 gigs memory
OS 10.6.2

Thunderbird 3.0.3

other programs used during freezing ( all work fine when Thunderbird is off)
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Firefox
Text Wrangler

Egidio

Post Posted March 20th, 2010, 3:01 pm

The problem is not likely the application file itself. That's why a new download did not help. When you did the forced power off, you might have damaged the preference file for open applications. It that is what happened to TBird, you can simply try the following. Make sure TBird is not running and go to ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.thunderbird.plist and move that file to your desktop. Then try to start TBird. Does it work?

If the above did not work, try running TBird on Safe Mode to see if there is any conflict with extensions and themes. To start Safe Mode, quit TBird (if it's running). Then open Terminal and type this line exactly as is (copy the line and paste it on Terminal after the prompt):

/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -safe-mode

If TBird works well without any problems, then you'll know the problem is either an extension or theme installed.

Let us know if either of these options helped or not.
Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]

jwbworks

Post Posted March 20th, 2010, 4:24 pm

moving the preferences files seems to have helped. The freezing usually happens when I do a get all messages. so far tbird seems ok. I am going to leav it running and see if a larger pull of emails works correctly.

Egidio

Post Posted March 20th, 2010, 5:37 pm

The plist file you moved, if damaged, could be the reason for the freezes. If all works well, you can trash the old plist file. Also, if you have some extensions and the freezes continue, one of those extensions could be the source of the problem.
Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]

Return to Thunderbird Support