why do I always have to scroll down to see new messages?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
autoscrolum35

Re: why do I always have to scroll down to see new messages?

Post by autoscrolum35 »

Is there a way so that Thunderbird will autoscroll to the end of the list to show the new messages?

not completely automatic, but semi-automatic ...... hit the Next button in the toolbar .... or the Previous button
A_Null

Post by A_Null »

So, is an auto-scroll feature something we should just look elsewhere for? I'd really like to see this in Thunderbird, and am genuinely interested in seeing it implemented. Is there any way to do this through a plug-in?
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

A_Null wrote:So, is an auto-scroll feature something we should just look elsewhere for? I'd really like to see this in Thunderbird, and am genuinely interested in seeing it implemented. Is there any way to do this through a plug-in?

There used to be an add-on called "AutoMessageSelect", but the author of it disappeared and it hasn't been kept up by somebody else (unfortunately).
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try the Last Message add-on.
A_Null

Post by A_Null »

I'll give this extension a shot, but if it only moves to the last message upon opening (a folder or Thunderbird), then it is not what I need. I have Thunderbird open pretty constantly, and I really need it to display newer messages as they come in, not just when I open it or select a folder.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

A_Null wrote:I'll give this extension a shot, but if it only moves to the last message upon opening (a folder or Thunderbird), then it is not what I need. I have Thunderbird open pretty constantly, and I really need it to display newer messages as they come in, not just when I open it or select a folder.

In that case, the solution is pretty simple:
After reading a new message, move it immediately to where it belongs in your archive structure. That way you will always have an empty Inbox and will see any new incoming message immediately.
Jim PionacSaigh

Post by Jim PionacSaigh »

Click on the date column and you can get the today's date either first or last.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The first couple of posts discussed the possibility of changing the sorting. That was rejected as he likes having the newest ones populate the bottom of the list.
A_Null

Post by A_Null »

So this is like "Doc, it hurts when I do this.", right? The answer to a genuine feature request is "change how you do business."
Sorry, but on these IMAP accounts, I cannot simply move all the email out of the inbox so that it can never fill beyond the capacity of the list pane. These Thunderbird clients are always on, always connected, always polling. There is always mail in the inbox. Sometimes, a lot. There is always a preview pane visible, and it will not be turned off to make more room for the list pane. Sometimes, a user will get up and leave their desk, and not be available to constantly scroll the list. They will, however, want to see the last email when they come back. This is the way it is, and will be. I apologize if I cannot change all the problems to fit the tool.

So there is still a legitimate need to have the window autoscroll to the newest email without user interaction. It doesn't need to select the newer mail, nor move the preview from it's current position, but it should be able to scroll the list so that the newest email is visible.

If the answer is "We're sorry, but the Thunderbird developers do not agree with your methods of doing business and refuse to support them." then just say so, but at least be up front and acknowledge that you won't accommodate a feature instead of trying to demean someone for their preferences or needs.

Personally, I miss Eudora.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

A_Null wrote:There is always mail in the inbox. Sometimes, a lot.
Do you return snail mail to your Inbox when you have handled it?
There is always a preview pane visible, and it will not be turned off to make more room for the list pane.
Why will it not be turned off? When I still used Outlook, it was a security breach so I learned to do without and I just stuck with that practice when converting to Thunderbird. F8 will toggle it for you.
Sometimes, a user will get up and leave their desk, and not be available to constantly scroll the list.
You mean they don't have to do anything else on the computer than just sitting there and wait for an email to come in? Don't they have a job to do?
A_Null

Post by A_Null »

Do you return snail mail to your Inbox when you have handled it?

Probably would just leave it there if I could. But there are federal regulations regarding it. Are you saying that the Feds have regulations about what I can and cannot do with the contents of my email box too? Yeah... let's go with that.

I did use the inbox as an example, but OK, I'll play... Let's now examine the scenario in which I have a folder named "Property 76 Construction Communication", and I create a filter to move certain emails to there as they arrive. Consequently, I have that folder selected. Now, I want Thunderbird to automatically scroll the list of email to the newest email. Maybe I even turn off the preview pane, but I still have close to a hundred emails coming in in a pretty short time. Will Thunderbird automatically scroll to the newest email then?

See, again your response is tailored to try to modify the problems to fit the tool. You'll notice that I did NOT ask "Hey, how can I change my methodology to fit Thunderbird?" I still want to know if there is, or maybe will be, any way to have a certain behavior in Thunderbird, namely to have the email automatically show the new mail.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry if it doesn't match your standard work procedure but at this time the only way to ensure that the newest messages are always visible is to sort with the newest at the top of the list of messages. Yes, that would require changing your habits but at this time there is no available functionality to have Thunderbird work they way you prefer.
A_Null

Post by A_Null »

DanRaisch wrote:Sorry if it doesn't match your standard work procedure but at this time the only way to ensure that the newest messages are always visible is to sort with the newest at the top of the list of messages. Yes, that would require changing your habits but at this time there is no available functionality to have Thunderbird work they way you prefer.

Thank you.
While I wish it would do as I like, I appreciate this response.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A_Null wrote:If the answer is "We're sorry, but the Thunderbird developers do not agree with your methods of doing business and refuse to support them." then just say so, but at least be up front and acknowledge that you won't accommodate a feature instead of trying to demean someone for their preferences or needs.

We're not run by or formally associated with Mozilla despite the similarity in names. We're a independent user community.