Getting multiple recipients on one line?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jack10001

Re: Getting multiple recipients on one line?

Post by jack10001 »

most email clients use three lines, one for To, one for Cc, and one for Bcc -- Thunderbird's method of splitting recipient lists into separate lines is somewhat unusable for end-users.

Totally agree with the above . Just move from oe and thunderbird because of the above has been a pain and will most likely stop using it because of this. please somebody fix this.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

It's all a matter of what you're used to. I started with Netscape for mail and browser before Microsoft had any either, and the way TBird does is is the way it's Netscape ancestor did it. When I had to start using Outlook at work, I found IT to be a pain because it was not what I was used to.

If it bothers you that much, then don't use it. Or spend a little more time with it and get used to it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ijk111

Post by ijk111 »

It is a matter of what is easier to use. Things change and if they are better people stick with them...............................as you can see a different perspective.

When I hit the reply all button and there are about a 100 recipents there are usually about 10 address whom I donot want the email to go to .
In OE one glance I can easily spot them and delete them. The entire list of email addresses is in my field of vision.
In thunderbird I have to scroll down a long list of names. Tedious and time consuming.

There are somethings which you need to get used to but there are somethings which are design flaws.
You are used to doing it slowly with TB where as I am used to the speed which OE offered [in respect to the reply all and email address being in one line].

If there is a better feature why not incorperate it. If we had the approach of getting used to things we still would be in the stone age.
larry54

Post by larry54 »

What a shame. This is such a weak point of TB. Fully agree with 'Guest' there.

I just hope TB matures over time, imho it has a lot to catch up with mature clients like Outlook in a lot of GUI aspects.

The html compliance is at least what keeps me justifying using TB already...and some very nifty extensions and security/privacy aspects.
jasondalycan4

Post by jasondalycan4 »

If you ask users to 'get used to my application' they will eventually wander elsewhere...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

jasondalycan4 wrote:If you ask users to 'get used to my application' they will eventually wander elsewhere...

That applies to Outlook or any other email client as well. In fact, there is no single computer application that will satisfy every single user out there in every single way. That's one of the reasons Thunderbird is popular, there are extensions to make it do things it doesn't do "out of the box", so users can customize many things to their liking. At the end of the day, though, if another email program does more of what "you" want than Thunderbird, please use that program. We really won't be put out. "This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community."

Post by Guest »

While I agree every application need to be improved to match the need for the client, I support the previous point that , it would be nice to have the following features, as seen in other email client (Apple mail, Outlook etc)...And this will make TB more popular. Yes, you could still do the way by starting from address books, but the application should provide convenient alternatives, right?

1. multiple recipients on the same line, comma separated (implemented already), AND with partial address-match, for all the recipients. --- It does not have to be too fancy, just like the feature when you composing gmail through the webpage interface should be fine...
---when typing the first address, a drop-down list appear for me to select, great. But when I added comma and trying to add another one, no hint available......

2.drag and drop recipient from "To:" group to "CC:" group and vise versa, it would be nice to merge this feature with what current TB has --- you can change the whole group from "CC:" to "Bcc:" , for example

this is my 2cent..and thanks for all making TB better and better.
-John
DanRaisch wrote:
jasondalycan4 wrote:If you ask users to 'get used to my application' they will eventually wander elsewhere...

That applies to Outlook or any other email client as well. In fact, there is no single computer application that will satisfy every single user out there in every single way. That's one of the reasons Thunderbird is popular, there are extensions to make it do things it doesn't do "out of the box", so users can customize many things to their liking. At the end of the day, though, if another email program does more of what "you" want than Thunderbird, please use that program. We really won't be put out. "This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community."
k.varun

Post by k.varun »

Guest wrote:While I agree every application need to be improved to match the need for the client, I support the previous point that , it would be nice to have the following features, as seen in other email client (Apple mail, Outlook etc)...And this will make TB more popular. Yes, you could still do the way by starting from address books, but the application should provide convenient alternatives, right?

1. multiple recipients on the same line, comma separated (implemented already), AND with partial address-match, for all the recipients. --- It does not have to be too fancy, just like the feature when you composing gmail through the webpage interface should be fine...
---when typing the first address, a drop-down list appear for me to select, great. But when I added comma and trying to add another one, no hint available......

Hi John,

I agree with your 1st comment. Did you find any add on to auto-populate the 2nd e mail address ( and onwards) ??

Thanks,
Kumar
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for 2-1/2 years.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.