MozillaZine

connection timed out (Ubuntu)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
chejose

Post Posted May 5th, 2010, 4:12 am

I had an earlier post on this, but it was a bit confused so will start again.

I get an "connection timed out" on both sending and receiving. The error log for both is:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIMsgMailNewsUrl.server]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/modules/activity/alertHook.js :: anonymous :: line 65" data: no]
Source File: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/modules/activity/alertHook.js
Line: 65

Error: [Exception... "update.locale file doesn't exist in either the XCurProcD or GreD directories" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/components/nsUpdateService.js :: getLocale :: line 549" data: no]
Source File: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/components/nsUpdateService.js
Line: 549

On send I get "connecting to smtp.rnet.com ar" a wait, then connection timed out.
On reception I get a "connecting to pop3.edicionescc.com" and after a wait the timed out message.

I have been using Thunderbird for a few years and have mail accounts on two different servers.

In desperation I installed "Claws mail" but I get the same results.

I can access mail by a direct connection to the server, but it takes time and is NOT the best way to handle mail.

So again, I ask for help.

Thanks, José

Post Posted June 24th, 2010, 9:46 pm

I am getting the same error. I am using thunderbird 3.0.4, trying to connect to an smtp (exchange) server. I can receive fine through imap, but get the same timeout message and get the first error on the error console. According to our website, smtp should be enabled.

Return to Thunderbird Support