Critical:Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not show my folders or inbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dikkekurt

Re: Critical:Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not show my folders or i

Post by dikkekurt »

@Neville,
in the mean time, since nothing seemed to bring any difference and I really need to work on these mails,
I took refuge to the time machine functionality within my Mac OS 10.6, and retrieved the
/Users/MyUser/Library/Thunderbird folder from a backup I made on the eve of august 7 ...
and all is OK again !! hail to time machine !!
Then I got all the emails that still reside on the server from after that date in and then I manually copied back the other folders that had been modified after that date.
I am back in business !!
And I am sorry that we could not find out the actual cause...
I will make it an absolute priority now to process those 500 emails in my inboxes and get them filed...
my best !
Geert
Neville

Post by Neville »

I am pleased you have found a solution.

For simplicity I have a flat folder structure and each day I use the archive facility - highlight mails and press A. You can see the result at: http://links.open.ac.uk/thunderbird/folderpane.png
imom

Post by imom »

I have the same issue. The left pane is blank after upgrading to 3.1.2 (Mac). Today I had to restart TB around 20 times before the email folders showed up.
Neville

Post by Neville »

Was it blank for the All folders view.
eznoh

Post by eznoh »

I have this same problem on my notebook. TB 3 works for a new install but not for a user that is upgrading from 2.0.0.24. Same thing happened on my desktop. I tried the "drag" suggestion and deleting *.msf files to no avail. When I select "View" all of the option are grayed out.
Mike
imom

Post by imom »

Neville wrote:Was it blank for the All folders view.

Yes, I tried all views. Doesn't make a difference.
eznoh

Post by eznoh »

imom wrote:
Neville wrote:Was it blank for the All folders view.

Yes, I tried all views. Doesn't make a difference.

My version wouldn't even let me select views.

Mike
Mike
imom

Post by imom »

I have now also gone back to previous version, using Time Machine, and all is well again. Avoid 3.1.2!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

bastiaankuijt

Post by bastiaankuijt »

Same thing here unfortunately....
Updated to 3.1.2 on MacBookPro OS 10.5.8 (not sure where I came from).

Only very rarely does Thunderbird start up with the folder structure in tact. Mostly it show nothing and working is impossible.
Browsing through the different folder modes is possible but does not help, folder list stays empty.
VWIW: I have removed Lightning but that does not change anything.

Will be restoring with TimeMachine and skip this version....
too bad.
bastiaankuijt

Post by bastiaankuijt »

Got a fix for my situation:
Change view to 'All Folders' then quit and restart Thunderbird and there they are!
Changing it back to 'Unified Folder' and quitting and restarting actually breaks it again...

At least it worked for me, check out the support topic at:
http://gsfn.us/t/1bsnx

bests, Bastiaan
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

bastiaankuijt wrote:Got a fix for my situation:
Change view to 'All Folders' then quit and restart Thunderbird and there they are!
Changing it back to 'Unified Folder' and quitting and restarting actually breaks it again...

At least it worked for me, check out the support topic at:
http://gsfn.us/t/1bsnx

bests, Bastiaan

running ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/n ... omm-1.9.2/ should fix that
Neville

Post by Neville »

Interesting bug wsm - no wonder I never see it. I thought I was immune because I have clean installs but it may be because I never use Folder Views - 'All' is permanently selected and my Folder Pane header hidden with: #folderPaneHeader { display: none !important }

Am I correct in thinking that all users need to do is to select 'All' and then restart TB?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Neville wrote:Interesting bug wsm - no wonder I never see it. I thought I was immune because I have clean installs but it may be because I never use Folder Views - 'All' is permanently selected and my Folder Pane header hidden with: #folderPaneHeader { display: none !important }

Am I correct in thinking that all users need to do is to select 'All' and then restart TB?

yes, I believe that is correct. But haven't tested myself.

The reason I give users the prerelease link is to help ensure that the "fix" as conceived by a patcher/developer (who may not have even been able to reproduce the issue), and said patch is landed in the prelease, in fact works as intended in the wild. And also because if it doesn't work for everyone, then we must wait another couple months for the next point release to get it right - not a nice situation when the release has millions of users.
Last edited by wsmwk on August 26th, 2010, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville

Post by Neville »

wsm - I appreciated that after our exchange earlier today. It would be useful to have a URL to refer to written as you think it should be presented to the uninitiated. If this is not easy for you I could produce a KB page or, much easier for me, put your words on its own page on my web server. Well done finding this - it was clearly causing considerable concern.