unable to delete message in inbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slam-er

Re: unable to delete message in inbox

Post by slam-er »

I tried just as you suggested, I deleted all of the files with .msf in the .thunderbird folder. I then opened up Thunderbird, compacted the folders and then tried to delete messages again. I still get the same error message. Do you have any other suggestions?

I think I mentioned this already, but I did not create this profile on this machine, rather I copied it from a backup that was on an external drive that I backed my home folder on from an older laptop. When I loaded up my new laptop, I copied over my .thunderbird folder. I have done this in the past without trouble. This is a Yahoo POP account, I have over 2600 messages in the main folder. Would moving those messages to an archive folder help me out?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It would be a wise thing to do if by the "main folder" you mean the Thunderbird Inbox folder. Storing messages in the Inbox of any POP type email account is a very bad practice. As the busiest area of the system, the Inbox is most at risk of data corruption and corresponding data loss. The more messages in the Inbox, the more messages at risk of loss. Creating an organization of folders, typically under Local Folders, and moving all but the most recent messages from the Inbox to that structure, will help to minimize risk of loss and improve performance.
slam-er

Post by slam-er »

Okay, none of the suggested solutions worked so for the past several weeks I have just been ignoring the problem. Recently, I upgraded to the nightly build, of Thunderbird 3.3 and I can happily say that the problem has been fixed. I can now delete e-mails again!