Can't send mails.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wippit

Can't send mails.

Post by wippit »

Hi all,

I'm running Thunderbird 3.1.2 with Win XP SP3.

I've got Thunderbird configured with my Yahoo email address, although it receives my emails no problem at all, the last few days it won't send any, I get the following window when it attempts to:

No settings have been changed in thunderbird or on my PC, it's been fine for over a year. I've tried putting my password in again but it still fails.

Can anyone help please? :D

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Can't send mails.

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY > PASSWORDS > EDIT SAVED PASSWORDS and there you can delete old passwords. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
wippit

Post by wippit »

DanRaisch wrote:Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY > PASSWORDS > EDIT SAVED PASSWORDS and there you can delete old passwords. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.

Thanks for that. I've done as you suggested & it's still not sending, I'm still getting the error box in my 1st post :( .
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. It's possible that it is simply a temporary problem with the SMTP server on Yahoo's end.

2. Is that a free US Yahoo email account?
wippit

Post by wippit »

DanRaisch wrote:1. It's possible that it is simply a temporary problem with the SMTP server on Yahoo's end.

2. Is that a free US Yahoo email account?

Hi DanRaisch,

It's a free UK account mate 8-) .
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You changed no settings but has any security software updated recently?
Can you access that account using a webmail page? If so, review and then delete the oldest message not yet downloaded to Thunderbird, or move it to a folder other than the server inbox.
wippit

Post by wippit »

DanRaisch wrote:You changed no settings but has any security software updated recently?
Can you access that account using a webmail page? If so, review and then delete the oldest message not yet downloaded to Thunderbird, or move it to a folder other than the server inbox.

No settings at all & I've no security updates recently.

I can access & send mails using their webpage. I've deleted all current messages from the Inbox on the webpage.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

That error message indicates that you have at least connected and gotten to the point where the server requests your name and password. That makes it less likely that a security program at your end is the cause of the problem (but I wouldn't rule it out entirely -- sometimes they really are programmed to do some stupid things).

Your problem is only with SENDING, correct? Then doing things with existing messages via webmail is not going to make any difference.

The error message only indicates the login failed, so the problem could be with either the account name or the password. In your SMTP server settings, be sure you send the account name in the format required by the server. Some want to see your full email address, some just want the portion of your address before the @, others issue a separate account ID that must be used.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
wippit

Post by wippit »

makaiguy wrote:Your problem is only with SENDING, correct?

That's correct, sending only 8-) .
wippit

Post by wippit »

I seem to have just solved it. I changed the Outgoing server from smtp.mail.yahoo.com to .co.uk.

Odd, none of the settings have been changed as there's only me that uses this computer :-k .
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It is not unheard of for email providers to change the required server settings and only tell their users about it after the fact. That may be the case here.
barbjohnson74

Post by barbjohnson74 »

wippit wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > PRIVACY > PASSWORDS > EDIT SAVED PASSWORDS and there you can delete old passwords. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.

Thanks for that. I've done as you suggested & it's still not sending, I'm still getting the error box in my 1st post :( .

Dan, there is NO NO NO PRIVACY link in the OPTIONS menu. 3.1.2 still does NOT allow WRITE a message.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're right, Barb. In TB version 3.1.2 that menu path is Tools->Options->Security->Passwords->Saved Passwords button.
barbaracjohnson

Post by barbaracjohnson »

DanRaisch wrote:You're right, Barb. In TB version 3.1.2 that menu path is Tools->Options->Security->Passwords->Saved Passwords button.

Thanks, Dan, for showing me the location of the PASSWORDS list.
PaulSR

Re: Can't send OR RECEIVE mails.

Post by PaulSR »

Hello,

I'm using version TB 2.0.0.24 (20100228), XP Home SP3, ; when viewing passwords in [Edit Saved Passwords] on the passwords saved tab, for the entry for smtp under the username column it says; <not specified> despite the fact that in account settings it clearly shows that the username has been entered and remains stored.

The above paragraph lends some clue for the smtp connection problem however, my inability to send is a mystery. The TB error is too general for the outgoing connection issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Paul