MozillaZine

Login to server smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dustybravo

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 3:52 pm

I've been checking Yahoo! mail with the Webmail and Yahoo mail add-ons for more than six months with no issues. I can still receive mails, but this morning I started to receive an error when sending mails through the yahoo account (my gmail sends work just fine). The error is:

Login Failed. Login to server smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed. (Then it gives me the chance to enter a new password, to no avail.)

I have the most current versions of Thunderbird and the Webmail and Yahoo mail add-ons. I've tried re-installing the add-ons and re-typing all the settings for the accounts. I can still send mail through the webmail site itself. I'm guessing something changed with the Yahoo mail server.

Any thoughts?

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 4:29 pm

If you're using the yahoo webmail add-on you probably don't have permission to use their POP or SMTP server. You either need to configure the yahoo webmail add-on to be a SMTP server (it uses screen scraping to emulate one rather than actually calling a real SMTP server), or configure the account to use an existing SMTP server from another account (perhaps one provided by your ISP).

dustybravo

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 4:43 pm

Sorry to be dense on this one, but where should I make those changes? I'm not finding a place where I can set this, unless it is using a "localhost" setting -- which I already have. This was working fantastically for months until a day ago. I thought that was why the yahoo mail add-on was there -- to act as a proxy between TB and Yahoo.

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm

dustybravo

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Thanks. That worked. I went through all that to set it up the first time around, and the yahoo smtp server worked fine. Now, months later, it requires something different.

Confused155

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I have had the same issue...I already have webmail and yahoo webmail....putting localhost as the server didnt change anything except now I can recieve mail either...whereas before I could...

Please help me fix this!

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 30th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Check that the username is the full email address and that the yahoo domain you use is listed in the components domains tab.

Return to Thunderbird Support