Login to server smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dustybravo

Login to server smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed.

Post by dustybravo »

I've been checking Yahoo! mail with the Webmail and Yahoo mail add-ons for more than six months with no issues. I can still receive mails, but this morning I started to receive an error when sending mails through the yahoo account (my gmail sends work just fine). The error is:

Login Failed. Login to server smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed. (Then it gives me the chance to enter a new password, to no avail.)

I have the most current versions of Thunderbird and the Webmail and Yahoo mail add-ons. I've tried re-installing the add-ons and re-typing all the settings for the accounts. I can still send mail through the webmail site itself. I'm guessing something changed with the Yahoo mail server.

Any thoughts?
tanstaafl

Re: Login to server smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed.

Post by tanstaafl »

If you're using the yahoo webmail add-on you probably don't have permission to use their POP or SMTP server. You either need to configure the yahoo webmail add-on to be a SMTP server (it uses screen scraping to emulate one rather than actually calling a real SMTP server), or configure the account to use an existing SMTP server from another account (perhaps one provided by your ISP).
dustybravo

Post by dustybravo »

Sorry to be dense on this one, but where should I make those changes? I'm not finding a place where I can set this, unless it is using a "localhost" setting -- which I already have. This was working fantastically for months until a day ago. I thought that was why the yahoo mail add-on was there -- to act as a proxy between TB and Yahoo.
dustybravo

Post by dustybravo »

Thanks. That worked. I went through all that to set it up the first time around, and the yahoo smtp server worked fine. Now, months later, it requires something different.
Confused155

Post by Confused155 »

I have had the same issue...I already have webmail and yahoo webmail....putting localhost as the server didnt change anything except now I can recieve mail either...whereas before I could...

Please help me fix this!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Check that the username is the full email address and that the yahoo domain you use is listed in the components domains tab.