MozillaZine

Problem with mbox import in thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cyberpatrol
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 2nd, 2008, 6:19 am

Post Posted September 18th, 2010, 10:30 am

I'm currently using Claws Mail, but want to switch to Thunderbird. Claws Mail stores the e-mails in MH mailboxes. To import the e-mails to Thunderbird I installed an mbox plugin for Claws Mail, copied the e-mails from the MH mailboxes to an mbox mailbox, copied the mbox files to a mailbox of a Thunderbird account (~/.thunderbird/<crypticname>.default/Mail/pop3.account.name/) and started Thunderbird.

Most of these mailboxes and most of the mails are imported and displayed correctly. But some (quite a lot) of my sent mails are displayed corrupted in the mailbox overview. The From header (the sender's e-mail address) is displayed in the Subject field and the subject is not displayed. But if I open these e-mails the headers are displayed correctly, the sender's e-mail address is displayed in the From field and the subject is displayed correctly in the Subject field.

Is there a way to fix the display in the mailbox overview or is this a bug?

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 115094
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted September 18th, 2010, 11:03 am

Is there a way to compact the message folders in Claws Mail before you convert the files to mbox format?

cyberpatrol
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 2nd, 2008, 6:19 am

Post Posted September 18th, 2010, 11:36 am

DanRaisch wrote:Is there a way to compact the message folders in Claws Mail before you convert the files to mbox format?

I don't know. But I found the problem. I guess it's a bug in Thunderbird and/or Claws Mail. When Claws-Mail sends an e-mail it adds several weird header fields including a header "S:sender.addr.ess". This header comes before the header "Subject: something".

When those e-mails are imported into Thunderbird the e-mail overview pane seems to interpret the "S:" header as the subject instead of ignoring it, and thus shows the sender's e-mail address as subject instead of the actual subject. The e-mail viewer (when the e-mail is opened by a double click) is working correctly and ignores the "S:" header and displays the "Subject:" header correctly.

I worked around it by `sed -i "s/^\(S\:\).*$/\1/" <mailbox>`. If the "S:" header is empty Thunderbird shows the subject correctly again in the e-mail overview.

mb720
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: February 14th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Post Posted February 14th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Removing the content of the S: header does fix the import.

I did it using
Code: Select all
sed 's/^S:.*$/S:/' <outbox_claws >new_outbox_claws

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 115094
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted February 14th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for more than two years.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests