Closing subfolders locks up TB 3.1.4

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
g3xaq

Closing subfolders locks up TB 3.1.4

Post by g3xaq »

After upgrading to Thunderbird 3.1.4, I'm finding that expanding or collaping items (subfolders, accounts) in the Folders display often locks up TB completely and the progam goes into Not responding state. OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. I've left it half an hour and it's still Not responding. Task Manager says nothing is using the CPU or disk. I saw no strange messages during the 3.1.4 upgrade, but I'm wondering if something is corrupted.

Thanks,

Alan
tanstaafl

Re: Closing subfolders locks up TB 3.1.4

Post by tanstaafl »

Try uninstalling it , downloading the setup program from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/ , and re-installing. Once in a while the automatic upgrade messes up, though usually if that occurs you see some garbage on the main screen.

Uninstalling does not uninstall your profile (which has your mail, settings, address book etc.) but if you're worried back it up first using Mozbackup. http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
g3xaq

Post by g3xaq »

Thanks for the quick response. OK, I've tried uninstall/install but it has made no difference, TB still locks up as before.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Try launching it with a -safe-mode command line argument to temporarily disable all add-ons, to see if one of them is the culprit. If not, then I suspect there is some sort of software interoperability problem with some other software on your system. It wouldn't hurt to run windows update, update your video drivers, and update internet explorer to version 8 (not to use it, but to update other DLL's as a side effect) to try to get as mainstream as possible. I'd also close as many programs as possible in the system tray etc. to rule them out.

What version did you upgrade from?
g3xaq

Post by g3xaq »

Yes, the problem does not seem to be there when I launch it in safe-mode. I upgraded from TB version 2, but the detailed subversion history seems to have disappeared from Tools!Options!Show_Update_History (I think it was there before I did an uninstall of 3.1.4 as per your first suggestion), sorry. I'm at IE8 and I routinely install all "important" Windows updates. The only obvious non-mainstream product I'm using is Bullguard AV/Firewall.

As you indicate, it looks like I have a problem with an add-on. There are two add-ons installed: Bullguard Backup 8.0 and Bullguard Spamfilter 8.0. Disabling just the Spamfilter (via Tools!Add-ons) seems to clear the problem. I'll report it to Bullguard. Is there a reference I should quote them within your team to work with?

Thanks very much for quickly getting this issue identified and giving me a workaround. I appreciate it.

Regards,

alan
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

We're not run by or formally associated with Mozilla or Mozilla Messaging. We're an independent user community. In fact the developers don't read these forums, though we do try to collaborate with their QA/support teams. Roland Tanglao is their technical support lead. I'll forward this thread to him.
g3xaq

Post by g3xaq »

Bullguard asked me to upgrade from Version 8 to the beta version of Verion 9 of their product. This does seem to have resolved the issue. I am now running with their Spamfilter 9.0 enabled and (fingers crossed) everything seems OK.

Alan