Compose window displays "Write:" in title, how to remove?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ecovoyageur

Compose window displays "Write:" in title, how to remove?

Post by ecovoyageur »

Does anyone know how to remove the part "Write:" in the message composing window title ? My objective is to reduce the size of the window title. I aslo wish to avoid having in the taskbar windows that start with the same useless title (Write: ...). Space in my very customized taskbar is limited!

Thanks to Rod, I had found a workaround in TB 2.0 (see : viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1087085) but this solution no longer works in TB 3.0 (it seems).
Any help anyone? Thanks!
tanstaafl

Re: Compose window displays "Write:" in title, how to remove

Post by tanstaafl »

viewtopic.php?p=9492971#p9492971 mentions changing a different string using that file with a 3.2.* nightly build. Did you use the installation or the profile chrome directory. You should use the former. I suggest you see if you can make the change in that thread as a sanity check.
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

I'm not sure what <<with a 3.2.* nightly build>> means. Can you specify please? I did create the file "custom-strings.txt" in the installation directory and included in it the string :
<<chrome%3A//messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties#windowTitlePrefix=>>
Does not work. I'm not sure I fully understand your comment or reference and I did read the referred thread. BTW my Thunderbird version is 3.1.7.
Thanks for your help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

3.2 is the next major release. A nightly build is a untested automated nightly build of a unreleased version.
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, are you saying that installing this nightly build will allow me to use the custom-strings.txt file and that with my present build (3.1.7) this is not possible? Thanks for your help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No. 3.1.7 probably supports what you're trying to do, but you might have made a syntax error. That is why I suggested you mimic that example, to verify that custom-strings.txt was supported and that you picked the right directory. Once you know that, its easier to experiment to see if you made a syntax error.
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

Ok, I included the following 2 strings:

chrome%3A//messenger/locale/messenger.properties#kiloByteAbbreviation2=%.*f Kb
chrome%3A//messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties#windowTitlePrefix=

In a file named "custom-strings.txt" that is located in TB installation folder as well as in the Chrome folder (as I'm confused reading the other thread where to put it). I'm still stuck with this "Write:" window title prefix and my email size still displays as (example) "18KB" and not as "18Kb".

Before switching to TB 3.0 I used to have this file with the above second string alone in it and it worked fine (from the TB installation folder).

Thanks for your help, I really want to solve this.
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

I do not want to add to much weight on this thread, but I think it may be useful to mention that, at the same time, I'm looking for a way to customize the main Thunderbird window's title as well. I'd like to know how to customize the main window title to have it display the number of new emails before displaying the name of the folder. I guess this is possible using "custom-strings.txt" or some other method since there used to be an extension allowing this (Fix TB Titlebar extension) that no longer works for me since I'm on TB 3.0. Thanks again for you help.
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

SIMPLY PUT : Does anyone know how customize the titles of the Thunderbird windows?
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

Well, there doesn't seem to be a solution to this at the moment. Anyone out there who has programming skills (I wish I did) I think it would be a very beneficial add-on or extension to create one that would allow users to define precisely what they want their Thunderbird windows titles to be. Both for the main window, which could display a notification with the number of new messages, and for the email compose / write window that could display only the title of the email message being written. Good luck and thank you!
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

Here I am, back again, years later, still hoping someone has found a solution to this annoying and useless "Write:" preceding any email composing window title. No luck.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ecovoyageur,

what you want is rather deeply embedded in the code, from what i can figure out. you might want to post a request in the extensions forums here ...
Extensions and Themes

for the titlebar stuff, lookee ...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... e&status=4
T-Bird Titlebar Tweaker

hope that helps,
lee
morat

Post by morat »

@ecovoyageur

Rod's solution works with Thunderbird 5 when I add a blank line to the end of the file.

viewtopic.php?p=5717955#p5717955
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

WOW! Morat, that's all it needed, an extra line in the file. Thank you so much for that, I've been longing for this to work as my laptop setup allows for very limited characters to show in the taskbar. This is great! Anyone out there looking for the same should then do the following :

1. Go to Thunderbird's installation directory, then to the chrome directory there.
2. Create a new plain text file named custom-strings.txt and in the file write this one line:
chrome%3A//messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties#windowTitlePrefix=
3. Then add a line break
4. Save the file.

Voila! Your compose window title is now the exact same as your message subject, no "Compose:" or "Write:" eating up your precious space.
ecovoyageur

Post by ecovoyageur »

It seems this solution no longer works (I have now version 43.0).
Anyone would know how to fix this (again) ?
Cheers