IMAP messages read on web still marked unread in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
boggett2001

Re: IMAP messages read on web still marked unread in Thunder

Post by boggett2001 »

I have a similar problem - all of my messages are moving onto my android G2 phone just fine. But when checking the email on my home PC in Tbird, all of the new messages are bold, as in "unread", and I can read them ONLY - if I click delete, the messages reappear within a second or two. I went into the profile and the mail folders, etc., and unchecked several of the "read-only" boxes, but the problem still won't go away. I hope someone here can help me - I've been googling the problem for 2 hours tonight.
Jennifer
wolrah

Post by wolrah »

I can also confirm the same problem. I have three Google Apps hosted accounts being accessed via IMAP mostly as configured automatically by Thunderbird (I've set up the Sent/Drafts/Junk folders to map correctly in to the [Gmail] subfolders and disabled HTML mail, otherwise default autoconfig). I also access these accounts via the web interface, Apple Mail over IMAP on OS X 10.6 and iOS 4.0.2, and the official GMail client on Android. If I read a message in any of these other clients the read status is updated on the others automatically, usually within 20-30 seconds. Thunderbird does not display any of these as read until I exit and relaunch the application.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101207 Thunderbird/3.1.7

I can test on OS X or Ubuntu as well if needed, but I assume most of what's involved here is identical across all supported OSes.
violetmoz

Post by violetmoz »

So, at least it isn't just me! What could be the common factor?
Foggen

Post by Foggen »

violetmoz wrote:So, at least it isn't just me! What could be the common factor?

It has to be related to gmail. My exchange account works fine.
mpalsf

Post by mpalsf »

I also have the same problem on one machine. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7, and the imap read updates are working fine. On the desktop machine, also running Windows 7, I'm getting the behavior described in this thread.
violetmoz

Post by violetmoz »

mpalsf wrote:I also have the same problem on one machine. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7, and the imap read updates are working fine. On the desktop machine, also running Windows 7, I'm getting the behavior described in this thread.

Are they all gmail accounts?
rollcage

Post by rollcage »

Seeing the exact same issue with Gmail IMAP/Windows 7/Thunderbird 3.1.8
violetmoz

Post by violetmoz »

I don't know what's under-the-hood, but this would seem to be an issue with how Thunderbird is handling gmail IMAP and not gmail itself. My iphone updates correctly both ways (i.e. if I read a message on my iphone or through the gmail web interface), and gmail updates correctly if I read a message on Thunderbird. The only piece that isn't updating correctly is Thunderbird when a message is read on another device (e.g. my iphone) or on gmail's web interface. Thunderbird does update correctly when it is restarted.
haydent

Post by haydent »

i have similiar problem with lavabit.com imap, i doesnt sync starred status or read status automatically (mayne delete also), i have to restart thunderbird. though in webmail changes are present straight away.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can duplicate the problem with the Lavabit IMAP server not automatically updating a messages status when you read it using webmail, using 3.1.9. It does update when you press the GetMail button so perhaps there is a bug in their servers support for the STATUS command. Try setting mail.imap.use_status_for_biff false.
helpme1211

Post by helpme1211 »

Has anyone solved this problem??? This is sooooooooo annonying!
nalkab

Post by nalkab »

What I've seen in my thunderbird-gmail-imap experience:

- New messages correctly immediately displayed in the thunderbird inbox
- Deleting messages in web-gmail -> immediately follows the correct reaction in thunderbird (and vice-versa)
- Marking as read (or unread) a message in thunderbird -> immediately in the web-gmail I can see the update

... But

- Marking as read (or unread) a message in web-gmail -> no reaction in thunderbird !!
Only closing and restarting Thunderbird everything is aligned again

This happens with the standard thunderbird settings, however, for me the "mail.imap.use_status_for_biff false" setting worked fine, solving the problem.

Maybe not useful for anyone, but this is what I've seen
nalkab

Post by nalkab »

Another update about this problem:

Case 1)
gmail account and one single PC running Thunderbird with IMAP configuration
-> with the "mail.imap.use_status_for_biff false" setting everything seems to be OK

Case 2)
I have a single gmail account and two different PC's running Thunderbird with gmail-IMAP on the same gmail account
Problem:
-- From PC_1 Thuderbird I check as read an email
-- PC_2 Thunderbird still shows as unread the same mail, also if on the gmail website, the email is checked as read.
-- Closing and restarting Thunderbird on PC_2 align the inbox, but this is not a solution
This is the condition that I need to solve, so, from my side, gmail IMAP is still not working properly in Thunderbird

Anyone has any idea?
wizardofoz

Post by wizardofoz »

"mail.imap.use_status_for_biff false" solved it for me! Thanks.
jonesy827

Post by jonesy827 »

nalkab wrote:Another update about this problem:

Case 1)
gmail account and one single PC running Thunderbird with IMAP configuration
-> with the "mail.imap.use_status_for_biff false" setting everything seems to be OK

Case 2)
I have a single gmail account and two different PC's running Thunderbird with gmail-IMAP on the same gmail account
Problem:
-- From PC_1 Thuderbird I check as read an email
-- PC_2 Thunderbird still shows as unread the same mail, also if on the gmail website, the email is checked as read.
-- Closing and restarting Thunderbird on PC_2 align the inbox, but this is not a solution
This is the condition that I need to solve, so, from my side, gmail IMAP is still not working properly in Thunderbird

Anyone has any idea?

I'm having the exact same issue. With only one client open the setting change fixed the problem, but we always have three open.

Any ideas?