IMAP messages read on web still marked unread in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PugLives

Re: IMAP messages read on web still marked unread in Thunder

Post by PugLives »

I have the same problem. I use Thunderbird with Gmail. Two separate Gmail accounts, one computer, one Android phone also syncing.

Note: Deletions work from all three, sync and deleted in all three. (by all three I mean in gmail, phone, and thunderbird)

#-o
parity3

Post by parity3 »

I have a theory but too lazy to fully test it:

Try setting max cached IMAP connections to 0 in server settings. It may be that thunderbird refreshes using a different connection than the original one, which is attached to a different transaction or reverse-proxy cache on the server side, before the other connection's transaction has been fully committed/dirtied.

In any case, I have a slightly different scenario, not sure if it helps anyone. I have both an IMAP and a POP connection setup on thunderbird, (don't ask me why for now, there's no real good reason, but I do), and I also have Trillian checking for new mail on yahoo (I'm pretty sure this is via their messenger protocol, not IMAP but I could be wrong). I've seen several cases where I repeatedly have to mark messages read on thunderbird IMAP, and even after refreshing, it shows up again as unread. I have no web clients open. IE, this has nothing to do with using a browser in combination with thunderbird. I have not turned off the biff setting btw.
seansimp925

Post by seansimp925 »

Setting that to false worked for me as well.

Might be helpful to describe how to actually get into the config editor though. I had no clue and spent a couple minutes on google before finding the path (okay I'm a n00b but so are many others perhaps?).

Steps 6 and 7:
http://www.cyberkey.in/2012/02/how-to-m ... lchat.html
seansimp925

Post by seansimp925 »

Well it appeared to work on both computers when I first did it but it hasn't worked since then. I re-checked to make sure the setting hadn't gone back to TRUE somehow but it's still sitting at FALSE. Any guidance?

It seems crazy that all is well when you shut down and open the program but that it cannot accomplish this while it's open...
charliehmozilla

Post by charliehmozilla »

It looks like this problem has been going on for at least four years, and it only affects a fraction of users. My messages only get changed to "read" status when I start Thunderbird. So there is some code in there that works, but only when Thunderbird is started, not during normal IMAP updates. The Biff thing didn't make any difference to me. Problem is, this is a real show-stopper for the Thunderbird/Gmail/Imap combination if you happen to be one of the users for whom it doesn't work.
scracha

Post by scracha »

Sorry for thread dredge but may have a solution.

Thunderbird client 17.05 on Windows.

I had to change.

Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Advaned->Use Idle Command=false (untick it)
Max Server Connections To Cache = 1 (default is 5)

Tools->Options->Advanced->Config Editor

mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new=true
mail.imap.use_status_for_biff=false (otherwise it only updates when I changed folders)
tchoper

Post by tchoper »

@scracha - Thank you! It appears that your above suggestions worked. Recently, IMAP messages deleted or read in another mail app weren't updating in Thunderbird. I had tried mail.imap.use_status_for_biff=false but it didn't help. Not sure which of your other suggestions did the trick (or perhaps some combination of them) but I think I'm good to go!