Messages not deleting from Gmail server

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Messages not deleting from Gmail server

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried setting a retention policy for the IMAP folders involved? Find that option by right clicking on the name of the folder and selecting "Properties" from the context menu that appears. Then click on the "Retention policy" tab to set things as you prefer.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your response, Dan. If my understanding is correct, setting the retention policy on an IMAP client would control the behavior of the client. That is, if I were to set my Inbox to delete messages older than 30 days, then that client would delete those messages off of the server (GMail, in my case) and, thus, those messages would not be available for download from my POP client, whenever it gets the chance to connect, meaning, I would lose them permanently (i.e., they would not be in my local email archives).

I'm beginning to realize that this is not a problem with Thunderbird as it worked fine with my previous provider; I am just hoping there might be a workaround. I don't understand why Google would be so restrictive (over-protective) in their policies. Although, they will allow a POP client to delete all messages, albeit, inadvertently (by having the 'Delete GMail's copy" setting), but they would not allow that client to manage messages, using a standard protocol (POP3). I guess, GMail is not compliant as it seems to be ignoring commands, such as "DELE x" (to delete message "x").

Has anybody else run into this problem?

Kamen
Kamen

Post by Kamen »

It seems like my fears are confirmed: in this thread of the MS Outlook forum, a senior member states that GMail does not fully implement POP3: http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-f ... msg_575813
If that is true, what a shame!
Kamen
anichi

Post by anichi »

Hello,

I have the same problem but I already have everything set as described:
- I am using Thunderbird and folders are compacting automatically
- in Thunderbird account is set to POP (tools -> account settings -> server settings to verify it says its a POP account)
- webmail setting is set to 'delete gmail's copy' (Settings->Forwarding and POP/IMAP->2. When messages are accessed by POP->select "Delete Gmail's copy".)

Nevertheless, webmail keeps keeping SENT items (inbox is deleted after downloading).
Any ideas ?

Thx,
Ana
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The setting you refer to on the Gmail page ("When messages are accessed by POP->select "Delete Gmail's copy".) only relates to incoming messages, not messages sent through either the webmail interface or Thunderbird. If you are accessing that Gmail account as a POP type account, Thunderbird has no access to or relationship with the server Sent folder. Only messages you send using the webmail interface will go the Sent folder on the Gmail server. Anything sent through Thunderbird will only be stored on the local computer in the Thunderbird Sent folder.
anichi

Post by anichi »

DanRaisch wrote:The setting you refer to on the Gmail page ("When messages are accessed by POP->select "Delete Gmail's copy".) only relates to incoming messages, not messages sent through either the webmail interface or Thunderbird. If you are accessing that Gmail account as a POP type account, Thunderbird has no access to or relationship with the server Sent folder. Only messages you send using the webmail interface will go the Sent folder on the Gmail server. Anything sent through Thunderbird will only be stored on the local computer in the Thunderbird Sent folder.

Thank You for answering me so quickly.
Gmail server keeps my sent emails even though I am always using Thunderbird (for sending and receiving). I wouldn't even know about it but recently I was away so I checked my emails via Gmail server and then I noticed all (!) my sent emails were stored.
So it turns out that somehow Thunderbird has some kind of connection with outgoing messages on Gmail server.
But I am no expert and I don't know how to deal with it so when I realized it, I started to log on to Gmail server once in two weeks or so just to delete all sent messages. Don't know what else to do.

Happy Easter !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, I stand corrected. Apparently this is another case of Gmail not implementing the POP protocol in a standard fashion. It seems that any messages sent through their SMTP servers on the POP type account is stored in the Sent folder on the server. There is nothing that Thunderbird can do about that and it doesn't appear that there are any options to switch that off on the webmail setting page. You'll have to delete the messages from time to time using a browser.
anichi

Post by anichi »

DanRaisch wrote:OK, I stand corrected. Apparently this is another case of Gmail not implementing the POP protocol in a standard fashion. It seems that any messages sent through their SMTP servers on the POP type account is stored in the Sent folder on the server. There is nothing that Thunderbird can do about that and it doesn't appear that there are any options to switch that off on the webmail setting page. You'll have to delete the messages from time to time using a browser.

Unfortunately, yes. That is what I am doing.
Nevertheless, thank You for expaining in such a short notice !
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.