Using unsupported add-ons with TB 5.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Using unsupported add-ons with TB 5.0

Post by tanstaafl »

Many add-ons are automatically disabled by Thunderbird 5.0 because they have a maximum version field that indicates they only support up to Thunderbird 3.3. However, many add-ons will work if you bump the maximum version they support, despite tools -> add-ons complaining that is it incompatible. The easiest way to do that is to install the Add-on compatibility reporter add-on which automatically disables version checking so that you can test an add-on. You could also use the MR Tech Toolkit or Nightly Tester Tools add-on.

If you run into a problem just uninstall the add-on. If you can't do that, use "help -> restart with add-ons disabled" to disable all add-ons and then uninstall the one that doesn't work. For some reason you're much more likely to run into a problem with a theme than an extension. Usually an extension will either work or not work, but a theme might have weird side effects. I've never heard of that causing somebody to lose data but if you're worried back up your profile first using something like Mozbackup.

The reason for this problem is that most authors don't update the add-on often and the Mozilla add-ons web site restricts the maximum version you can set. Its hoped that the web site will automatically modify that setting for all working add-ons every time a new major version is released, like they supposedly started doing for Firefox. However, that doesn't help add-ons on other web sites and the developers haven't said anything yet about how they will help users or add-ons developers cope with new major versions being released approximately every 6 weeks due to the new rapid development policy.

See Updating add-ons for more information and links to some other workarounds. It also helps to click on the link to the authors web site and see if it has an updated add-on. Frequently that is updated more often. If you're using a anti-spam toolbar you may need to go to the vendors web site to find a link to a beta version of that add-on.

Note: This will be a sticky thread for 24 days.
Timesink

Re: Using unsupported add-ons with TB 5.0

Post by Timesink »

I downloaded and installed Add-on compatibility reporter.
This did indeed allow me to enable MailTweak.
PERMANENT PEN and ADDRESS LINES work fine, but the feature I really need TREE FONT does not.
Under APPEARANCE I have a DEFAULT 5.0 theme showing. Clicking on COMPATIBILITY yields dialog saying "! This add-on no longer works." but I can't figure out how to delete it and allow MailTweak TREE FONT to work.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
tanstaafl

Re: Using unsupported add-ons with TB 5.0

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't think your problem is with the add-on compatibility reporter add-on. MailTweak doesn't fully support all of its features with 3.1 (that is why the last version (over a year ago) was called a preview for 3.1). I've never used the tree font tweak. Did it used to work with 3.1.11?

I found a 19 Jun 2010 post about problems with the tree font tweak at viewtopic.php?p=9514679#p9514679 from somebody using Thunderbird 3

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bad_Eyesight_-_Thunderbird for some suggestions on ways to change fonts for menus and folder panes.