MozillaZine

default theme tb 3 into tb5

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Chris1808

Post Posted July 4th, 2011, 12:31 pm

As the subject,
which files / folders need to be backed up so that I can port the tb 3.1 theme into tb5 as I really don't like the icons in tb5

markus__

Post Posted July 4th, 2011, 12:50 pm

I'd like to know this as well, I find the new icons really ... lacking color. Please also comment/vote on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=668336 which I opened.

rsx11m

Post Posted July 4th, 2011, 1:45 pm

The installer comes with themes for both Windows XP/2000 (non-aero, Tango-style icons) and Vista/Windows 7 (aero style with glass effect if enabled). The 3.1 "aero" theme isn't available, but going with the XP default theme should resolve most of the issues seen with the redesigned aero theme.

Switching the theme in this way can be done by hacking the installation, even with the default Windows 7 tools (make sure that Thunderbird is not running!):

EVIL HACK ALERT!!! (that's usually not what you should do, but if you really want it, go ahead...)

1. Go into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird, or
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird (x86) on 64-bit OS
  2. make a copy of omni.jar before proceeding, that's your backup
  3. rename omni.jar to omni.zip
  4. double-click omni.zip to enter, go into the chrome folder
  5. drag the file nonlocalized.manifest onto your Desktop
  6. open the copy on your desktop with Notepad or Wordpad (not MS Word!)
  7. using Ctrl+H, change all <6 to <7 (enable XP theme on Vista/Windows 7)
  8. using Ctrl+H, change all >=6 to >=7 (disable aero theme for Vista/Windows 7)
  9. save as text file and drag nonlocalized.manifest back into the chrome folder of omni.zip
  10. close omni.zip, then back in the Mozilla Thunderbird folder, rename it back to omni.jar
  11. think twice if you have done the right thing, then double-click Thunderbird.exe and see if it worked
  12. if it didn't, copy your backup version of omni.jar back over your hacked copy and try again
This implies that future automated updates will fail, but should revert to full updates. Thus, updating manually is advised in such cases. You may have to repeat this procedure after an update.

Disclaimer: Provided "as is" with no warranty whatsoever.

rsx11m

Post Posted July 4th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Chris1808 wrote:which files / folders need to be backed up so that I can port the tb 3.1 theme into tb5

Thunderbird 3.x didn't have an omni.jar, the theme there was located in a file "classic.jar" in the installation's chrome folder. While you should be able to extract the old icons from there to reuse them in a custom theme or userChrome.css override (as alternative to the XP switch), you can certainly do so, but the theme itself will not apply to 5.0 directly where the UI design changed between versions.

Chris1808

Post Posted July 8th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Yep the evil hack works fine when used under vista
One thing to note is this can also be applied to the set-up programme as well rather than doing a post install hack

Simply rename the installer with a .zip extension
open archive & go to chrome folder
follow from step 5 above
then rename the installer back to a .exe

rsx11m

Post Posted July 9th, 2011, 8:40 am

An experimental NoGlass add-on has been published by paenglab which removes the glass effect without the need for userChrome.css hacks. Also, possibly following my suggestion in bug 668336, you can switch "Use Small Icons" on in the "Customize..." dialogs to get colored icons in the buttons (not all buttons are colorized, yet).

rsx11m

Post Posted July 9th, 2011, 8:52 am

Here some instructions if you want to apply your own color scheme for the icons of the aero default theme:
  1. Download the toolbar-icon files for the main toolbar, the a composition window, and the address-book window:
  2. Use a graphics program like GIMP which can handle PNG transparency, select icons one by one, and edit their colors as desired:
    • In GIMP, use the rectangular selector to mark the full icon to be modified
    • Open Colors > Colorize, a dialog with three slides appears
    • Choose the desired color with the top slider, the center slider determines strength of the color, and the bottom slider the icon's brightness
    • Once you are happy, close the dialog and proceed with the next icon
    • Save the image once done
  3. Place your edited icons into the "chrome" folder of your profile, then add the following userChrome.css code:

Code: Select all
    :-moz-any(
        #button-getmsg, #button-newmsg, #button-address, #button-reply,
        #button-replyall, #button-replylist, #button-forward, .delete-button,
        .junk-button, #button-print, #button-stop, #button-file, #button-next,
        #button-previous, #button-mark, #button-tag, #button-goback,
        #button-goforward, #button-compact, #button-archive,
        #hdrReplyButton, #hdrReplyToSenderButton, #hdrReplyAllButton,
        #hdrReplyListButton, #hdrForwardButton, #hdrTrashButton, #hdrJunkButton
        ) .toolbarbutton-icon {
      list-style-image: url("mail-toolbar-aero.png") !important;
    }

#button-send, #button-contacts, #spellingButton, #button-attach,
        #button-security, #button-save, #quoteButton, #cut-button,
        #copy-button, #paste-button) .toolbarbutton-icon {
      list-style-image: url("compose-toolbar-aero.png") !important;
    }

#button-newcard, #button-newlist, #button-editcard, #button-newmessage,
        #button-newim, #button-abdelete) .toolbarbutton-icon {
      list-style-image: url("addressbook-toolbar-aero.png") !important;
    }

• If you renamed the original PNG files, make sure to adjust the url("...") paths respectively.
    • This won't change the icon colors in the multi-message selection window.
  4. Restart Thunderbird and enjoy your new icons!
In the same way, you can also overwrite any toolbar icon with your own as long as it fits into the 18x18 pixel size.
Last edited by rsx11m on February 17th, 2014, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated broken links to repository, thus pointing to current icon files

markus__

Post Posted July 9th, 2011, 1:15 pm

I just realized that on one of my older machines using XP the icons are colored as expected. I think this is what you what rsx11m wrote above (I just didn't realize what it meant). Why the *removed* the colors for Aero themes is so completely beyond me. The more I had to work with it, the more I disliked it (there NoGlass works perfectly in that case). Still, the defaults make me really wonder.

rsx11m

Post Posted July 9th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Yes, the theme for Windows 7 and Vista is completely different from the theme for Windows XP and 2000. The code above and the new add-on retain the aero theme but exchange the monochrome icons by slightly colored ones, which are nevertheless still much different from the XP-version icons.

Return to Thunderbird Support