Thunderbird hangs on send saying "attaching"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Thunderbird hangs on send saying "attaching"

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

this bug ...
532395 – Sending reply to an open message takes never ending "attaching message".

... seems to cover _some_ of what _some_ of you are seeing. the last comment lists several threads on variations of the "attaching" problem.

IMPORTANT!
== bugzilla is NOT a forum! ==
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list by hitting the "save changes" button - no comment is needed. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
Peterat

Post by Peterat »

The advice re removing an inline image from the reply works a treat and it is the quickest and easiest workaround.

Cheers,

Peter
ckrasnor

Post by ckrasnor »

The permanently hanging "Attaching" message happens to me 2-3 times per day. If I highlight and copy the new text of the message and restart the message and paste my text back in to the new message, it usually sends immediately even with exactly the same content.

I have Thunderbird set to auto update so it's always at the latest version. This has been happening for many past versions. I'm using Windows 7 Professional on a machine less than 1 year old. I can find no correlation between the messages that cause the hanging. I have a signature with a couple of small graphics in it but otherwise nothing unusual.
Paul_tulcea

Post by Paul_tulcea »

I had the same problem and I think I have the solution.
In my case I use a proxy for firefox and firefox was always in background except this time.
I tried several time to send the email and couldn't. Then I opened firefox, inserted my user and password for proxy, went back to Thunderbird and clicked once more to send button. Message was send instantly!

Hope this helps,
Paul Sarstiuc
bions

Post by bions »

Windows 7 64 bit, AVG anti virus, Thunderbird 13.0.1

Often when I reply to an email that contains images or signatures, the send hangs saying "attaching xxxxxx.xxx" where the file is some random name like, recently, bdgggjdd.png or fcaafgfh.png. The name changes upon repeated attempts. Sometimes there is no file name. If I repeatedly cancel, delete an item from the bottom of the message, and resend, eventually the message goes through. My guess is that some process is assigning random file names to images that either should or should not be there. Whatever, the whole thing is really annoying.
Jānis

Post by Jānis »

Brian in CA wrote:It has been happening to me for a while now. When I reply to an email, the inline images that were part of the original email are causing the problem. It's like Thunderbird doesn't know how to reattach them when you hit reply. It's not dependent on editing time, as another poster pointed out.

If I screen-capture the inline images, paste them into an image program, and then copy from that back into the email, that works. But that is time consuming - hardly an acceptable workaround.

I would say this is likely a bug in Thunderbird - Thunderbird isn't reattaching inline images properly in replies. And it has been going on for years - I have seen this reoccur in Thunderbird versions going back many years.

I shall echo Brian's report completely. Thunderbird isn't reattaching inline images properly in replies.

This is still happening in Thunderbird version 14.0.
remoteone

Post by remoteone »

I updated to TB14 hoping that this debilitating issue was fixed. But the BUG is still there!!
You gotta fix this! This is a Critical issue.
I sent an important email at 1pm yesterday only to return at 4am today to see that the email had not sent! It was just sitting there saying "attaching".
There was a image in the signature of the original email that I was replying to. The image was showing. But the email would not send until I deleted the image.
](*,)

Post by Guest »

If you want this fixed, please vote for
this bug ...
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=532395
532395 – Sending reply to an open message takes never ending "attaching message".
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

...and realize that we can't fix it for you. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community.
RP78

Post by RP78 »

I upgraded from TB 3 to TB 14 and got the same attachment hang problem. I changed the setting Tools ... Options ... Composition tab: Forward messages from "inline" to "as attachment" and have vanquished the problem.
RP78

Post by RP78 »

3 days now and not a problem after changing "forwarding messages" from "inline" to "as attachment".
Jānis

Post by Jānis »

RP78 wrote:3 days now and not a problem after changing "forwarding messages" from "inline" to "as attachment".

Do you ever reply to e-mails, or just forward them?
John Remenyi

Post by John Remenyi »

I observe this as well. Using TB 14.0
gitarrenmann

Post by gitarrenmann »

Same issue here when replying to emails containing pictures within the text.
Removing the pics from the text and trying again does help always.
This behaviour is not reproducable doing several "reply" tries using the same email.

So it is not clear to me when the issue occures and when it doesn't occur.

I'm using TB 14.0 on a Win7 x64.
Installed AddOns:
* Dictionary Switcher 1.1.5
* LookOut 1.2.13
* Stationery 0.7.8
* Change quote and reply format 0.7.4.2
* Quicktext 0.9.11.1

Couldn't the problem be related to some AddOns: So does somebody have similar AddOns AND is having a similar issue?
dantheman007

Post by dantheman007 »

For me this seems to happen when the reply window has been open for a bit of time......