Thunderbird hangs on send saying "attaching"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PACarlier

Re: Thunderbird hangs on send saying "attaching"

Post by PACarlier »

Hello

I can confirm that

"One thing I've found to get around this under windows, is before hitting reply/forwardInline, press CONTROL-A to highlight the whole email, and then select reply/forwardInline"

does work

Thanks or the tip. Now I have to get used to it !
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

To reiterate, since this is a new thread page, if there is an in-line graphic (e.g. a company logo in a signature) and the mail gets saved to a draft, when you finally hit send it is likely to get stuck on the message "Attaching..." The easy workaround that works for most folks is to click into the Drafts folder, then go back to the mail and hit send again. The typical surefire method is to just delete the images before reattempting the send. Shutting off the draft auto-save of course prevents this entirely.

thundergoesboom wrote:One thing I've found to get around this under windows, is before hitting reply/forwardInline, press CONTROL-A to highlight the whole email, and then select reply/forwardInline

Now that is interesting. I know that when something is selected in the mail when you hit reply it only quotes the selected portion. I usually do that accidentally. Selecting the entire mail that way may kick the images into a different mode of some sort. The exact technical details of it all escapes me as my programming knowledge is very rudimentary, but clearly when a draft gets saved under normal circumstances, Thunderbird loses track of the image and can't find it when you do eventually hit send.

The bugzilla thread is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=532395 . A post from two months ago claims that something else they fixed (bug 854798) for release 38 should take care of this as a consequence. Though the description for 854798 talks about something that happens during compacting, whereas this happens when a draft is saved with no compacting taking place. We shall see.

This is a similar/related one that I've noticed before too, but the circumstances are such that you're not likely to encounter it unless you really lose track of what you're doing: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=453196

Edit Aug 3:
Bug event happened to me today on ver 38.1.0, either the bug 854798 fix didn't help or it hasn't been rolled out yet.
Floyd R Turbo

Post by Floyd R Turbo »

I can confirm that under TB 38.2.0 that this bug still exists. This has happened to many users in our office.

What I noticed today was that as I was typing an email (a rather lengthy one), and it auto-saved the draft, it then started showing "Attaching" in the lower right corner of the email window, along with a green progress bar that appeared to be stuck indefinitely. When I tried to send the message, I got the pop up "attaching". This message has inline images in the signature from the person I was replying to. I copied my response, closed the message and deleted the draft, started a new reply to the original email, pasted in my response and hit send and it went right through.

So in short, no fix for this issue in 38
haduydung

Post by haduydung »

this bug is very uncomfortable for my job. It happens everyday. My TB was vesion 38.2 :(
JeffLeites

Post by JeffLeites »

I recently found another workaround. Right click on the image that is causing the problem, click on Cut, then Paste the image right back. I've been able to send after doing this.
Floyd R Turbo

Post by Floyd R Turbo »

Or just delete them. But seriously TB folks, fix this.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Seriously, there are no TB folks here! This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.
JeffLeites

Post by JeffLeites »

Floyd R Turbo wrote:Or just delete them. But seriously TB folks, fix this.

That would work too, but I want to send the image.
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

DanRaisch wrote:Seriously, there are no TB folks here! This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.

I'd like to think that there's at least a little bit of crossover between this community and the bugzilla community, though sometimes I suspect that there are no TB folks at bugzilla either. Just this morning I noticed a new (to me) bug in TB, looked it up on google, and found the bugzilla thread for it that was created in 2009! There was another one a few years back that I was keeping an eye on, some brave soul finally took initiative and fixed it, but until then that bug had been around for ages as well.

The TB staff putters around with stuff like removing the "folder pane columns" feature and then putting it back in a few years later, but they ignore the piles of bugs that have been clearly identified and reported.
haduydung

Post by haduydung »

I have been using TB for 2 years. This bug is very annoying. I don't understand why don't developers fix this? I hope they'll fix it sooner. :|
PACarlier

Post by PACarlier »

There is a workaround :
- BEFORE replying or forwarding the message, type CTRL+A in the message to select it all
- Then click reply or forward

It works for me at all times. The trick is not to forget to do CTRL+A before

regards
Floyd R Turbo

Post by Floyd R Turbo »

PACarlier, that doesn't help at all. Doing CTRL+A just highlights everything, including the image that is screwing things up. Same as just having nothing highlighted and clicking forward/reply.

The solution is really simple. Before sending the message, just delete any embedded signature images
Cape

Post by Cape »

Just wanted to step by and say that this OUTSTANDING bug has been going on for at least 6 years now. Keep up the good job Mozilla!

Also thanks for dedicating so much time into making Netflix and other DRMed content accessible to FF instead of providing a decent workflow for your email client. I'm sure you will conquer the market with this policy.

</end-of-rageposting>
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Cape,
Just a FWIW, if you didn't know...
"We" are not mozilla.org/.com & have no say in what goes on/in either Fiefox or Thunderbird.

Please ref; the "notification" at the bottom of the right hand column. ----------------------------->>>
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
JeffLeites

Post by JeffLeites »

Here's my latest workaround -

When it hangs on attaching, I cancel the send, open Drafts in another window (that's it just open the folder), go back to the Write window, and click on send. It's worked so far.