Filters ignore read mail unless manually run on folder (IMAP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
touriga

Filters ignore read mail unless manually run on folder (IMAP

Post by touriga »

My gmail account in Thunderbird is set up for IMAP access. I have a message filter set up to move all mail from my gmail inbox (in TB) to the TB local folders inbox. The problem I have is that only unread mails are moved. If I want to move read mails I need to run the filter on the folder manually.

I have tried every combination of settings possible but still cannot get it to work automatically.

I have tried all the "Apply filter when:" settings and also tried "All messages" and specific criteria (status = Read OR status = Unread) etc.

Although I access my gmail via my mobile device too this problem pre-dates setting up my mobile and does not appear to be related to how the email is read. e.g. If I read a message on gmail's web interface the message is marked as read and appears in the gmail inbox folder in Thunderbird but is ignored by the filter. Only unread messages are moved from the TB gmail inbox to the Local Folders Inbox.

Any ideas?
t 7

Re: Filters ignore read mail unless manually run on folder (

Post by t 7 »

filters work automatically on new mail only
touriga

Post by touriga »

There is nothing about the options and rules structure to suggest this restriction. Is there a logical reason for restricting the automatic operation? Can it be changed? I would regard this as a bug that needs addressing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, it is not possible to have filters run automatically on messages that are not newly received to Thunderbird. You can manually trigger those filters. It might be a feature request but it is the way it is intended to work.
David.P

Post by David.P »

DanRaisch wrote:No, it is not possible to have filters run automatically on messages that are not newly received to Thunderbird.

This is incorrect. Mails that have been read in gmail's web interface ARE new to Thunderbird (if Thunderbird connects later via IMAP).

DanRaisch wrote:it is the way it is intended to work.

This is incorrect as well because a) there is no apparent reason for this behaviour whatsoever, and because b) it is easily possible to set up filters that are supposed to work on "read" mail as a filter condition -- however they simply don't work.

Therefore, this can't be "intended" but obviously is a bug (at least now where IMAP access meanwhile has become omnipresent/mainstream).

And this bug makes it impossible to handle IMAP mail by using filters in Thunderbird -- as soon as you access you IMAP mails elsewhere as well which of course is exactly the purpose of IMAP.

Regards David.P
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy David.P,

no matter how reluctant you are to admit that someone has a different opinion of how things "should" work, the world is filled with folks who will disagree with you.

they also seem to disagree with _me_ rather often. [*grin*]

the post by DanRaisch is correct. that is how the programmers _intend_ for filters to work. there are MANY requests to change the way filters work but no one has felt the desire to do the work needed.

filters run automatically ONLY on unread, new msgs.

take care,
lee
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hi, the only correct snip recently has been this commonplace:

filters run automatically ONLY on unread, new msgs.

IMAP messages OTOH that I have read on the web or on the iPhone (etc.) ARE new to Thunderbird when accessed later -- but still don't get processed because of this bug.

And having a filter condition "apply to read mail" in Thunderbird which however has not been working for a decade IS a bug.

Hth & EoT
David.P
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy David.P,

i think we may a difference of definition. [*grin*]

the behavior is _undesirable_. unfortunately, since it really is acting as the programmers intended, it aint a _bug_.

if you want it changed, you may want to create a bug [everything in bugzilla is a "bug"] to request your desired behavior. the more clearly you can define the desired behavior, the more likely the bug is to get some attention from programmers.

you are seeing one of the prime gripes of open source. [*grin*] things only get done if someone has the time, the desire, AND the expertise.

take care,
lee
tinchev

Post by tinchev »

Hi, I searched for a solution of the same issue and found this extension which works fine for me:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... rs-button/

I hope it will help you solve the issue easier. Just place the button on your toolbar and press it when needed. ;)
David.P

Post by David.P »

this is an ugly würgaround :(