MozillaZine

All Aspects of TB v 12.x are Extremely Slow!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wsmwk

Post Posted May 7th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Harvey Hotshoes wrote:WSM,

I agree with everything that you say regarding the cause.

Where I get "off of the bus" is when you say that there is no activity on Bugzilla. There is mine, "https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=751357", in which another person, a Thomas D., comments on experiencing similarly and yet another, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=750781.

In addition to the above, I have encountered other complainants on other websites, one being GetSatisfaction. I have also posted there. I've also found other reports of the same problem during web searches but have not kept track of their locations.

I tend to be conservative when comparing/discussing relatively new (sometimes unconfirmed) reports - they often end up not correlating in the end. And I wrote that didn't find *firefox* bug reports. I said nothing bout thunderbird. :)

Harvey Hotshoes wrote:What I find interesting is that there are two of us with nearly identically issues, yet with two different OSs. I am running Win7 64 bit and the other person Win XP 32 Bit.

In performance issues, there is rarely any difference between the various windows OSes.

alexmoss

Post Posted May 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm

wsm: No. We use ESET NOD32, currently version 4.2.71.2.

spondylus

Post Posted May 8th, 2012, 5:45 am

I read some of the discussion here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=750781#c11

I am not a programer, but a fairly skilled user. The basic point I took away was the problem is a conflict between TB and my antivirus program. So, I turned my av (Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security) off and the problem disappeared. I clearly cannot leave my av off, so does anyone have a workaround for those of us who are not tech savvy?

alexmoss

Post Posted May 8th, 2012, 6:03 am

Do you have, and did you delete, the 2 rogue directories, which are supposed to be files, as described in the linked thread?

You should have files named places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-war, but *not* directories with those same names. Somehow, TB is creating directories with those names, which is leading to the timing issue. At least that's my rookie explanation. Solution: delete those 2 *directories* (not the *files* with the same names).

This has solved my problem almost completely. What's not completely fixed: TB has recreated the directories twice in the past several days. But upon deletion (again), I get everything back to normal. If it continues, more frequently, I'll revert to TB 11 (again) until the developers figure out how to stop the issue rather than just fixing the symptoms. Meantime, fixing the symptoms is working fine for me.

spondylus

Post Posted May 8th, 2012, 6:08 am

Alexmoss,

I do not have those two directories. I have places.sqlite-wal and places.sqlite-shm, but these are files, not directories. When I shut TB down, they disappear.

alexmoss

Post Posted May 8th, 2012, 6:49 am

spondylus --

Then perhaps we have different issues. I'm following guidance from the forum gurus here, would not want to steer you wrong so I'll defer to others.

wsmwk

Post Posted May 8th, 2012, 7:01 am

indeed, spondylus report would be entirely different issue. spondylus will want to complain to Trend Micro

tiands

Post Posted May 14th, 2012, 12:48 am

I think a friend of mine - I'm supporting him from time to time - also has the problem with the directories named fu.wal and ba.shm
I deleted them on friday and his TB (12.0.1) was fast again. But today it is slowly again. OS ist Win 7 / 32 Bit.
A solution would be highly appreciated.

wsmwk

Post Posted May 14th, 2012, 4:58 am

Is the "location" for your Local Folders in account settings set to Profiles\-profile-name-\Mail\Local Folders ?

Or Profiles\-profile-name- ?

Montana Bob

Post Posted April 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Just as an update, I am STILL experiencing this slow page loading in version 20.0! It is so slow that I that the "Not Responding" message appears frequently.

Needless to say this is very annoying.

Why is this happening?

tanstaafl

Post Posted April 11th, 2013, 1:12 am

I'd assume its a problem with your profile despite the problem not appearing in 11.*. I suggest you create a new profile and then migrate JUST your mail and address books to it per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird

wsmwk

Post Posted April 11th, 2013, 1:43 am

Harvey Hotshoes wrote:Just as an update, I am STILL experiencing this slow page loading in version 20.0! It is so slow that I that the "Not Responding" message appears frequently. ... Why is this happening?

1. Thank you for your continued interest in TB.
2. You mention https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=750781 is your bug report. But your comment does not indicate you have tested TB21.0b1 which fixes this and just became available yesterday at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/ so I recommend trying it before we assess your situation further. Indeed, in general I would recommend using something newer than TB17 when pursuing performance problems (as tanstaafl suggested earlier).
3. Do you still have Firefox performance issues?
4. The fact that in an earlier release there was no problem suggests regressive behavior which should be pursued as a *bug*. Creating a new profile might be useful diagnostic information. And if it helps, great, but a new profile is bug avoidance not bug resolution, and therefore should not be relied on as a solution because a) the problem may come back and b) problem solved in this manner does not help potentially solve the problem for *other* users. That fact that you have lived with the problem to this point suggests your willingness to pursue other avenues of diagnosis and resolution, which is commendable. So let's dig deeper :)

Return to Thunderbird Support