Thunderbird 12. Links in received emails don't work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CA-girl

Re: Thunderbird 12. Links in received emails don't work

Post by CA-girl »

I did that, and the first time I clicked on a link, it did as me which app to use. It offered Chrome, which I clicked, then nothing. I closed the box, restarted Thundebird, and the links were back to not opening at all. In Options -> Attachments, the HTML documents are set to open with Chrome, and my Win7 .*htm* associations are all set to open with Chrome.

I can't believe that installing a simple little text editor caused all this damage, but it must have changed something somewhere, like making itself the default text editor and screwing up something else. I really hate it when **every** program wants to be the default program for its type. And **every** window has to open in full-screen mode because it's just so damn important! Grrr.

Any help would be appreciated, since I'm really getting sick of cutting and pasting URLs from mail to browser.

Thanks.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

gaines2166 wrote:I had the same problem with 12. Change this to TRUE:
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http
When you click on a link it will ask you which app to use -- mine offered Firefox as default.

I had somehow gotten mine (actually wife's) to where links WOULD open if and only if Firefox was already open...would not work if Firefox was closed.

I set these as stated (actually there is one for https as well). Now, it does not work whether Firefox is open or not--a regression. Says 'no permission.'

I set them back to FALSE, but it made no difference. So this attempt to fix the problem has made it worse.

Thunderbird support--upgrade fixes--is crap.
Newbeak

Post by Newbeak »

#-o I have win7 , tb 12.0.1 and ff 12.0.I have had this issue for at least weeks now.What I just tried seemed to restore link clicking into ff. I closed ff,opened Chrome,and clicked on a tb link,which then launched ff and the webpage for the link! Chrome was still open as well.Go figure.
jcarerra

Post by jcarerra »

Newbeak wrote:#-o I have win7 , tb 12.0.1 and ff 12.0.I have had this issue for at least weeks now.What I just tried seemed to restore link clicking into ff. I closed ff,opened Chrome,and clicked on a tb link,which then launched ff and the webpage for the link! Chrome was still open as well.Go figure.

My wife's machine will open the link if Firefox is already open. Try clicking a link with Firefox already open (vs. Chrome). I suspect that will work as well.

But if browser is closed, the links will not open, period.

At first, that machine would not open a link at all, whether browser was open or not. After trying all of the 2000 fixes you find while web searching this problem, it changed into "works if Firefox already open, NO if not."
Newbeak

Post by Newbeak »

jcarerra wrote:
Newbeak wrote:#-o I have win7 , tb 12.0.1 and ff 12.0.I have had this issue for at least weeks now.What I just tried seemed to restore link clicking into ff. I closed ff,opened Chrome,and clicked on a tb link,which then launched ff and the webpage for the link! Chrome was still open as well.Go figure.

My wife's machine will open the link if Firefox is already open. Try clicking a link with Firefox already open (vs. Chrome). I suspect that will work as well.

But if browser is closed, the links will not open, period.

At first, that machine would not open a link at all, whether browser was open or not. After trying all of the 2000 fixes you find while web searching this problem, it changed into "works if Firefox already open, NO if not."

I apparently have the opposite problem.I had FF open at the time,and I clicked on the link I got in my TB inbox notifying me of your post,and it didn't work ( Chrome was not running this time). However,if I shut FF down,and click on the TB link,FF opens at this Forum page. Update: With FF running,I just now clicked on a link in another email in my inbox,and the link worked! Further update: With FF still open,I clicked again on the link to this forum in TB,and it worked this time! The only thing different was that I had deleted the email,and it was in my deleted folder. ](*,)
rjv23

Post by rjv23 »

found this on another forum, it worked for me. set the path manually in preferences: installed the Thunderbird add-on ThunderBrowse 3.2.8.1 and went through the quick-config that's part of the install, picking Firefox as the browser. Still didn't work. Then in ThunderBrowse Preferences I went to the External Browser tab which said "Configure External Browser Launching - Path to custom browser to launch (leave blank for the system default)" which had indeed been left blank (Firefox was the default browser, right?). When I put /usr/bin/firefox in that field, I finally was able to get Thunderbird to launch Firefox when I clicked on a web link in TB.
Newbeak

Post by Newbeak »

rjv23 wrote:found this on another forum, it worked for me. set the path manually in preferences: installed the Thunderbird add-on ThunderBrowse 3.2.8.1 and went through the quick-config that's part of the install, picking Firefox as the browser. Still didn't work. Then in ThunderBrowse Preferences I went to the External Browser tab which said "Configure External Browser Launching - Path to custom browser to launch (leave blank for the system default)" which had indeed been left blank (Firefox was the default browser, right?). When I put /usr/bin/firefox in that field, I finally was able to get Thunderbird to launch Firefox when I clicked on a web link in TB.

Thanks,but I always have my browser (FF) and email client (TB) running sandboxed,and Thunderbrowse opens links unsandboxed.
Cliff_Chism

Post by Cliff_Chism »

I have the same problem (maybe). I installed Chrome, made it the default browser and now my TB links in email will do nothing. I can also copy and paste. But, that's it.

I used regedit to look at the registry settings for .htm, .html, and .shtml. All are set to ChromeHTML, so that's ok.

Interestingly, I just went to : Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet>Programs> Default Programs>Set Your Default Programs. When it displayed the list of installed programs, Google Chrome is NOT ON THE LIST. So, even though I've seen that Chrome is the default program in various places, it appears that Win7 doesn't even know that it's installed (at least in the default programs area).

I'll keep looking. But, you might want to see if you have the same effect.

Cliff
hkvic

Post by hkvic »

Don't know if it helps but I have been having this 'TB links not opening in Firefox' for a while and was driving me nuts. I have now solved this when I twigged that after a system crash, I re-installed Win7 but used the 64 bit version instead of the 32.

When clicking a link in TB 15.0, it was looking for the default browser (Firefox) in the 'c:/Program Files' folder instead of 'c:/Prgram Files (x86)/' where it now resided. Even when these changes were made in config etc, it still wouldn't perform as it should, until I did the following:

Open Thunderbird >
- Click 'Tools'
- Click 'Options'
- Click 'Attachments' tab
- Click 'Incoming' tab
- Look for the protocols 'http' and 'https'
- In the 'Action' column, select 'Use Other'
- Locate Firefox directory (in my case, this was C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe)
- Double click the 'firefox' icon.
- Repeat for both 'Content Types'
- 'Action' should now read 'Use Firefox'
- Click OK
- Close.
- All worked for me after this change.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051025 Firefox/1.5
sayhello

Post by sayhello »

hkvic wrote:Don't know if it helps but I have been having this 'TB links not opening in Firefox' for a while and was driving me nuts. I have now solved this when I twigged that after a system crash, I re-installed Win7 but used the 64 bit version instead of the 32.

When clicking a link in TB 15.0, it was looking for the default browser (Firefox) in the 'c:/Program Files' folder instead of 'c:/Prgram Files (x86)/' where it now resided. Even when these changes were made in config etc, it still wouldn't perform as it should, until I did the following:

Open Thunderbird >
- Click 'Tools'
- Click 'Options'
- Click 'Attachments' tab
- Click 'Incoming' tab
- Look for the protocols 'http' and 'https'
- In the 'Action' column, select 'Use Other'
- Locate Firefox directory (in my case, this was C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe)
- Double click the 'firefox' icon.
- Repeat for both 'Content Types'
- 'Action' should now read 'Use Firefox'
- Click OK
- Close.
- All worked for me after this change.
When I do this (TB 15.0.1) http and https are not listed under the "Incoming" tab. Could that be my problem why links won't open into Firefox? Can I add them in?

Just the last couple of days, clicking links in TB 15.0.1 won't open a tab in Firefox, or open Firefox if it's closed. This always worked before.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When you click on a link in Thunderbird it sends a call to the operating system to launch the default browser. When the OS does not "remember" what application is to be the default, nothing happens, just as you have seen. See this link to set the default browser -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
DisturbedDragon

Post by DisturbedDragon »

gaines2166 wrote:I had the same problem with 12. Change this to TRUE:

network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http

When you click on a link it will ask you which app to use -- mine offered Firefox as default.

You are awesome. Thank you very much for this, it worked like a charm.

My issue arose when I deleted my FF folder in /usr/lib and replaced it with FF ESR since ff16 broke plugins and more specifically java caller so I could not access my IPKVM.

Thanks again!
Newbeak

Post by Newbeak »

Links in TB suddenly started working again.Don't ask me why!