Mails disappear under mouse pointer

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mcanonic

Mails disappear under mouse pointer

Post by mcanonic »

Hi,
I have TB 14 over windows XP.

Now If I move the mouse pointer in my inbox folder, I can see the messages header disappear under the pointer itself.

I went to provile folder and I tried to delete the msf file, but nothing has changed.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
M
DanRaisch

Re: Mails disappear under mouse pointer

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mcanonic,

are you talking about the threadpane/message list area? the one that usually shows the subject, from, etc. info?

if you are that sounds like you have somehow managed to get a color combination that causes the hover color to give you something like white text on a white background [or other unreadable combo].

you may want to post a screenshot.
Posting a screenshot on the forum - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

take care,
lee
mcanonic

Post by mcanonic »

Hi,
thanks for you reply.
@DanRaisch: even TB in safe mode does not solve my problem.
@Lee: I'm attaching the screenshot. It is not related to colour setting. I've just noticed that there is a wired "square" when I select the "inbox" with problem.

Here the screenshot:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1wfqs ... GlibmczT28

Hope you can help me.

Thanks,
Massimo
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mcanonic,

wow! that is really odd. thanks for the screenshot! it makes things a bit clearer. it certainly doesn't seem to be caused by an incorrect color combo.

what do you mean by "there is a wired "square" when I select the "inbox" with problem"? your screenshot is too small to see anything like that. would you please make another with more detail shown?

take care,
lee
mcanonic

Post by mcanonic »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy mcanonic,

wow! that is really odd. thanks for the screenshot! it makes things a bit clearer. it certainly doesn't seem to be caused by an incorrect color combo.

what do you mean by "there is a wired "square" when I select the "inbox" with problem"? your screenshot is too small to see anything like that. would you please make another with more detail shown?

take care,
lee

Hi,
if you click on the link that I provided, and then right-click on the picture and select "view image", you can see the screenshot quite big. You'll see a square where I draw a red circle. Can you see it?

Not sure this means something, but it shows up only when I select the faulty "inbox".

Thanks,
M
Last edited by mcanonic on August 27th, 2012, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

One must log into their google account to see this. Sorry, but I prefer to stay off Google-anything as much as possible. There are plenty of other free image hosting sites you can use which do not require a login.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
mcanonic

Post by mcanonic »

makaiguy wrote:

One must log into their google account to see this. Sorry, but I prefer to stay off Google-anything as much as possible. There are plenty of other free image hosting sites you can use which do not require a login.

Hi maka,
are you sure about that? Event this link ask you to use google account?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/8osaa ... msqpsIJSD0

I use to share file with my friend by google drive, even if they do not have google account.

M
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mcanonic,

thank you for the explanation. i learned something new! [*grin*]

btw, i cannot view the 2nd link you posted. i get the following error msg ...
403. That’s an error.

Your client does not have permission to get URL /8osaaFFYIGl7gmeU_ZhewBdeVLQ7Y29yx-OYpnvCI3BKPhJP1oU4nBYH7hn1uMxfs2YaSmsqpsIJSD0 from this server. (Client IP address: [...snip...])

Forbidden That’s all we know.

yes, i see the odd, small box at the end of the "Bozz[something-unreadable]" mail folder. it's in what appears to be your local folders account and below what i suspect is your global inbox.

a few questions ...
[1] have you tried the "repair folder" feature for that folder?
you get there thus [in the en-us version] ...
- select the folder
- right-click on the folder
- select "properties"
- press the "repair folder button"

that rebuilds the MSF file for the folder. it's the same thing as deleting the MSF file and letting tbird rebuild it. i know you tried that already, but please try it via this command simply to cover the bases.

[2] have you looked at the on-the-disk name of that folder?
you can get there thus ...
- help/troubleshooting-information
- press the "show folder" button
that will open your file manager in the profile folder for the current tbird profile.
- navigate to the "mail" folder
- navigate to the folder for that account
it will usually be named with some variant of the email server you connected to. in this case i suspect it will be listed in your language for "local folders".

from there you should see files that correspond to your tbird mail folders. what is the _exact_ name of the file that contains the problematic tbird mail folder?

for example, this is what i see for my INBOX folder ...
- INBOX
with no extension, contains the mail that tbird shows in the INBOX folder
- INBOX.msf
index file
- INBOX.sbd
an operating system folder that contains the files tbird shows as subfolders of the INBOX folder
- INBOX.mozmsgs
an operating system folder that contains _partial_ msgs in *.EML format that tbird generates for the system indexing service

i'm _very_ curious what the EXACT name of the problem "folder" file is.

take care,
lee
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

mcanonic wrote:Hi maka,
are you sure about that?

What a strange thing to ask. Why woud I say it if that wasn't what I was seeing? When I go to that link, I'm asked to log into my Google account, or to create one. But that's because I have no cookies on this computer that automatically log me in to a Google account.
Event this link ask you to use google account?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/8osaa ... msqpsIJSD0

No, it doesn't ask me to log in. It tells me I don't have permission to view the page, as Lee reported above.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
mcanonic

Post by mcanonic »

Hi all,
I have deleted the file inbox.msf, I have tried to enter in the properties of the folder but this is what I get:
http://oi49.tinypic.com/s3mx6h.jpg
(sorry it is in italian, but it is the windows to search messagge in a folder)

Someone at work suggested me to use "repair folder" but the problem is that I do not have this option.
Where I have the problem is the "inbox" of the "local folders" that do not have much in the properties windows (as you can see on the screenshot).

Any idea? Should I re-install TB?

Massimo

P.S.: Sorry makalguy for the post, but I used googledrive also with people without google account, so it was strange to me hear that. I can understand your positon to stay away from google stuff. As you can see, I did not use google this time.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mcanonic,

[1] you keep referring to INBOX but the folder you show in the pic is labeled "Bozz[something with a little box at the end]".
which is the one you are concerned about?

[2] the dialog you show is the "search messages" dialog, not the properties dialog.
here's what the folder context menu looks like on my unmodified tbird profile ...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

please either try it again or post a pic of your folder context menu.

take care,
lee
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Right-click the folder name in the left-side folder pane.
Select Properties.
On the General Information tab is where you'll find the Repair Folder button. (In older versions it is "Rebuild Index".)
Doug Wilson
mcanonic

Post by mcanonic »

Hi all,
the folder is called "posta in arrivo" that means "inbox" as you can see in title bar of the window.
This "posta in arrivo" is under "Local folder" and contains the email received from one of the 3 accounts that I have specified.
The windows that you see is what I got by doing right-click the folder "posta in arrivo" (i.e. inbox) in the left-side folder pane and then selecting properties.

It is weird that the properties of this folder shows up that kind of windows (mail searching).

My hope to solve the problem is going down... :(

Thanks!
M
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The image you posted is not of the "Properties" menu. It's the first context menu displayed when you right click on the folder name. To get to "Properties" menu you have to click on that choice in the context menu shown in that image.