XMPP Connection works with pidgin, fails with Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ojintoad

XMPP Connection works with pidgin, fails with Thunderbird

Post by ojintoad »

https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mes ... bird?rfm=1

I posted this over in Get Satisfaction and was surprised at the number of people who are reporting the same issue for the new chat functionality in TB15. While I'm patient, I just figured I would cross post this particular issue here in case any eyes might hit this site that weren't hitting Get Satisfaction. If this is bad form, I apologize in advance.

Here's the question as posted at GS:

The XMPP protocol is supported by the new chat functionality in thunderbird. I'm not sure if I'm making a silly mistake, but I am trying to connect to my company's internal OpenFire XMPP server and unable to connected. Pidgin works well though.

Here is what I've tried so far:

Username: username@domain.com and username@im.domain.com for the account name
Server: domain.com and im.domain.com

I've used all combinations of these two without luck.

In pidgin, I have the following attributes set for the account and it manages to connect:

Username: username
Domain: im.domain.com
Port: 5222

Based on this, I also tried creating an account with just "username" (note, not username@domain.com) in thunderbird with both the server names to see if that would make a difference, but it almost seems like thunderbird doesn't really like that style of username. When I try to hit the connect button with just "username", it doesn't really appear to try.

Since this is a small company I work for, I have access to the log files of Openfire. In pidgin if I put a bad password I can see a log entry that my account failed to connect. I see no messages like this with all the configurations mentioned above.

I am happy to provide more specific info if necessary.

If there's any additional information you'd like me to supply I'd be happy to do so.
"I'm just making sense here" - Olly
ARow

Re: XMPP Connection works with pidgin, fails with Thunderbir

Post by ARow »

Hi,
I have same problem... i have user name like XYZ@jabber.DOMAIN.XX vie SSL...
none100

Post by none100 »

Same issue. Here's what the error console says:

Timestamp: 08/31/2012 09:54:23 AM
Error: NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT: 'TypeError: match[1] is undefined' when calling method: [prplIAccount::connect]
Source File: resource:///components/imAccounts.js
Line: 620
pho54

Post by pho54 »

I found that the error you got was if when creating the account you didn't put the username as: user@server.com then it generates that error and doesn't even try and connect. The other error you're likely to experience is the "server closed the connection" where it tries to connect but craps out because of a lack of certificate. If it's a company server or similar go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Certificates->View Certificates. Click 'Add Exception' and change the location to (remove the https) 'chat.company.com:5222'. Then try and reconnect.
OLliw

Post by OLliw »

pho54 wrote:I found that the error you got was if when creating the account you didn't put the username as: user@server.com then it generates that error and doesn't even try and connect. The other error you're likely to experience is the "server closed the connection" where it tries to connect but craps out because of a lack of certificate. If it's a company server or similar go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Certificates->View Certificates. Click 'Add Exception' and change the location to (remove the https) 'chat.company.com:5222'. Then try and reconnect.

That really helped, thanks!
jdavidf

Post by jdavidf »

Afraid I'm having the same issue - or at least similar.. I've set up my account in TB15 as davidf@ctserver.travelcaldwell.com. We have a self-signed certificate on the server and OpenFire v3.6.4.

I've exported my certificate from within Pidgin (which always works fine), then imported into TB and trusted it.

When I create my account and try to connect, it says "Initializing Encryption" for about 20 seconds then "Connection reset by peer".

I tried adding an exception (as above from pho54), but keep getting "No Information Available, Unable to obtain identification status for the given site" - which makes me think it may be a peculiarity with our server/certificate setup.

Also in TB error console, getting errors:

Timestamp: 9/5/2012 4:11:08 PM
Error: NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS: '[JavaScript Error: "this.prplAccount is null" {file: "resource:///components/imAccounts.js" line: 608}]' when calling method: [nsIObserver::observe]
Source File: resource:///components/imCore.js
Line: 237

Timestamp: 9/5/2012 4:13:40 PM
Error: Attempted to connect to a site with a bad certificate in the add exception dialog. This results in a (mostly harmless) exception being thrown. Logged for information purposes only: [Exception... "Failure" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.js :: checkCert :: line 129" data: no]
Source File: chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.js
Line: 137

Thanks -- any help would be great.. not urgent as we all use Pidgin, but was hoping to get this going in TB

David
j__

Post by j__ »

Hi,

for me it finally worked after I removed an expired private certificate, that was still stored in thunderbird. Hope I could help someone.
fongpwf

Post by fongpwf »

We have a internal XMPP Jabber server with a self signed certificate.
I've found that if you do the "Add exception" method, you can connect instantly the first time after you start Thunderbird. If you disconnect and attempt to reconnect, it will get stuck saying "Initializing Encryption..." and re-try a few times before connecting.

Is there a bug for these kind of issues? Or is the instabird bug the one to use?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I would say,

Product: Thunderbird
Component: Instant Messaging

It appears that the OpenFire problem is corrected. No?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=787046
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
bagpussnz3

Post by bagpussnz3 »

Hi,
What fixed it for me:
1. change user to user@domain
2. Advanced->View Certificates->Find relevant cert (I had one for our xmpp server)->Edit trust->Trust the authenticity of the is certifcate

Hey presto it worked.

Cheers,
Ian