Keep Getting Error with IMAP Account!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
phugoid

Keep Getting Error with IMAP Account!

Post by phugoid »

Trying to set up Thunderbird to work with my two IMAP accounts - one for work, one for personal use.

The one for work set up and works perfectly. The one for personal use doens't.

The problem for the personal e-mail account is that whenever I try to go into any of the folders, the following error gets displayed:

"The current operation on "Sent Items" did not succeed. The mail server for account myaccount@mydomain.com responded: Command Error. 12."

I get the same error for ALL my folders, not just "Sent Items". I set my e-mail account up on my phone and tablet on K-9 Mail app and it works perfectly. I'm using ubuntu on my laptop and pc. I set the accounts up on the Evolution client too just to see if it was a problem with Thunderbird or the account itself. It worked perfectly on all of these, so the accounts themselves must be fine, and Thunderbird is coming up with the issues.

Any ideas?!?!
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Keep Getting Error with IMAP Account!

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy phugoid,

from this thread ...
Command Error 12 • mozillaZine Forums

... i got to this bugzilla item ...
741374 – Getting messages triggers 'command error 12' pop-up in bottom right corner(Badly configured IMAP server retrurns "BAD Command Error. 12" to ID command even though server returns ID in CAPABILITY response, so send_client_info=false was introduced)

in that bug, there is mention of this pref ...

Code: Select all

mail.server.default.send_client_info

by default it is TRUE. toggling it to FALSE [by double clicking on it] will stop tbird from sending the "ID command". the error seems to be happening with some servers that _claim_ to support that command but return an error when it is used. [*grin*]

try turning that pref to FALSE, restarting tbird, and then test to see if that helps.

IMPORTANT!
== bugzilla is NOT a forum! ==
== bugzilla is NOT a support site! ==
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list by hitting the "save changes" button - no comment is needed. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
phugoid

Post by phugoid »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy phugoid,

from this thread ...
Command Error 12 • mozillaZine Forums

... i got to this bugzilla item ...
741374 – Getting messages triggers 'command error 12' pop-up in bottom right corner(Badly configured IMAP server retrurns "BAD Command Error. 12" to ID command even though server returns ID in CAPABILITY response, so send_client_info=false was introduced)

in that bug, there is mention of this pref ...

Code: Select all

mail.server.default.send_client_info

by default it is TRUE. toggling it to FALSE [by double clicking on it] will stop tbird from sending the "ID command". the error seems to be happening with some servers that _claim_ to support that command but return an error when it is used. [*grin*]

try turning that pref to FALSE, restarting tbird, and then test to see if that helps.

IMPORTANT!
== bugzilla is NOT a forum! ==
== bugzilla is NOT a support site! ==
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list by hitting the "save changes" button - no comment is needed. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee

Thanks Lee, this worked perfectly! How people come across these solutions I will never know :).
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy phugoid,

you are quite welcome! glad to help a little ... [*grin*]

as for how they figure this out, i used to do a little bit of tech support and it's mostly getting details ... and then finding the right person to ask "what does this mean?" - with appropriate bribes, of course.

in this case, my search-fu was working right well.

take care,
lee