You Send IT! wont Uninstall!!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
miket999

You Send IT! wont Uninstall!!

Post by miket999 »

I made the horrible mistake of installing YOU SEND IT which when I try to uninstall wont. IT somehow links with Tbird and now Tbird 15.x is crashing when ever I try to open an attachment--which I am pretty sure is because of the YOUSendIT attempt to uninstall. I removed Tbird and deleted it (I think) using Regedit in Windows 7 and then reinstalled but it made no difference. I think the YouSendIt code has somehow embedded in Tbird because it keeps trying to reinstall its self using Windows Installer. I see not entry in Tbirds Addons for YouSendIt. Any ideas?
tanstaafl

Re: You Send IT! wont Uninstall!!

Post by tanstaafl »

If I understand https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en ... endit&as=s correctly there is nothing to install, you just need to configure Thunderbird to use YouSendIt in tools -> options -> attachments -> outgoing. I looked on http://www.yousendit.com/thunderbird-application and the only download for "YouSendIt for Thunderbird" seemed to be for Thunderbird. Are you sure you didn't install something else such as the YouSendIt toolbar or YouSendIt for Yahoo?
miket999

Post by miket999 »

Every time I start Tbird it tries to reinstall YouSendit. Windows installer cant find the files its trying to install so then it hangs then Tbird Crashes. It seems impossible to get YouSendit off of my system. Everytime I click on an attachment in Tbird YouSendIT tries to reinstall. I removed it in Regedit and stopped it's service. How do I install a fresh version of Tbird without it defaulting to the last installations settings? -mike
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Create a new profile using the profile manager. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy miket999

did you install one of the apps from the following site?
YouSendIt | Desktop, Mobile, and Web Applications and Plugins

take care,
lee
miket999

Post by miket999 »

Lee, Yes. The YouSendIT desktop app. Tbird crashes constantly. How do I get Tbird to act as if it is the first installation?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy miket999,

down at the bottom of this page ...
YouSendIt Desktop Application for Windows - Featur... - YouSendIt

... you will find a link for their email support. i recommend contacting them. you may also want to post in their forum here ...
Desktop Applications (ideas and suggestions) - YouSendIt
Community - YouSendIt

i tried using their search for "thunderbird" and for "crash" and for "uninstall" in various combinations without finding anything that seems to relate to your problem. you will need to make a new thread over there.

i wish you luck! [*grin*]

if you find the answer, would you please post it back here? it may help others in the future.

the post from tanstaafl about trying a new profile is also a good idea. your description makes it seem likely that their app left some "stuff" in tbird.

some places to look for that "stuff" are ...
[1] tools/options/advanced/general/config-editor-button
search for things that seem related to the yousendit app. if you find one, rt-click on it and then select "reset" to get rid of it. you will likely need to restart tbird for that to make any difference.

um, er, PLEASE make a backup of your profile before resetting prefs! [*grin*]

[2] tools/addons/plugins or tools/addons/extensions
look for anything with their name in it and ...
- if it is a plugin, hit the "disable" button to stop it from running. again, restarting tbird is likely needed.
- if it is an extension, use the "remove" button to get rid of it. if there is no remove button, then try the "disable" button. yet again, a restart of tbird is likely needed.

take care,
lee
miket999

Post by miket999 »

I have removed Yousendit using msconfig and Regedit I save and close but when I restart my machine all is back where it was before. How can that be?!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy miket999,

that means they used one of the malware-like methods to bypass things. not a nice thing to do.

another thing you may want to try is to ...
- re-download the app
- re-install it
- run it ONCE to let it do whatever 1st-run stuff it needs to do
- uninstall it
- reboot windows
- test

that method may work if what actually happened was a failed uninstall. try it - i can't hurt. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you uninstall it using the control panel, per the instructions at http://support.yousendit.com/t5/Applica ... ta-p/11244 ?

Any chance Windows System Restore is restoring your registry settings etc.?
miket999

Post by miket999 »

tanstaafl wrote:Did you uninstall it using the control panel, per the instructions at http://support.yousendit.com/t5/Applica ... ta-p/11244 ?

Any chance Windows System Restore is restoring your registry settings etc.?

Good question. I have no idea if it is or isnt. How do I turn that off? -mt
miket999

Post by miket999 »

I cant click on an incoming attachment without Tbird Crashing. Is it not possible to uninstall all entries for Tbird and reinstall as if new? Is doing that so complicated?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Your problem seems to be that you installed some YouSendIt application that somehow effects Thunderbird. If its not listed as a helper in tools -> options -> attachments and its not a Thunderbrid add-on....

I suggest you focus on removing all traces of that application. Did you uninstall it yet using the control panel?
miket999

Post by miket999 »

tanstaafl wrote:Your problem seems to be that you installed some YouSendIt application that somehow effects Thunderbird. If its not listed as a helper in tools -> options -> attachments and its not a Thunderbrid add-on....

I suggest you focus on removing all traces of that application. Did you uninstall it yet using the control panel?

Yes, I used the Control Panel to ATTEMPT to uninstall YouSendIT. YSI someone configures windows so that what ever email client is used YSI wants to handled the attachments. When I try to uniinstall YSI it says it needs to close Windows Explorer, well if you stop the Windows Explorer service the system crashes. I have denied permission to every YSI reference I can find and it still somehow loads when I start the system. Then when I click on any Tbird inbox item that has an attachmet TBird hangs/crashes.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Then if you don't have a system restore point you can use I suggest you search the registry and delete all references to YouSendit, delete as many of the files in its installation directory as you can, and reboot. Then delete the remaining files in the installation directory.

Worst case you may need to create either a windows 7 system repair disk or a Linux based system rescue disk (CD/DVD) that you can boot from and use its file manager to delete any remaining YouSendIt files. Since you are booting the operating system from the CD/DVD you can safely delete any files on the hard disk without crashing the current operating system. The Linux based system rescue disk doesn't require any knowledge of Linux to run its file manager.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/wind ... epair-disc
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/03/19/system ... ollection/