Attachments fill up the Window

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Robert, I'm no CSS wizard myself, but if that's the code you're using then it's no wonder it doesn't work. It looks like a mess -- missing brackets, comments not marked as comments, etc. You might find this useful:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_syntax.asp

What I'd recommend is starting completely over. Just trash your existing userChrome.css file. Make a brand new one with absolutely no content other than these exact lines:

Code: Select all

/* Attachment pane at bottom of message window */
#attachmentView {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  height: 40px !important;
  overflow: auto !important; }

Just copy and paste these lines into your empty userChrome.css file, and then save it. (And of course, make sure it's in the "chrome" folder in your profile folder.)

If that works when you restart TB, then you can exit TB and add some other CSS to your userChrome.css. Just add one item at a time (such as font size), and test it before adding anything else. Take it one step at a time, and it should work.

Post by Guest »

Aloha Wintogreen,
I very much appreciate your taking the time you have to try to help me solve this problem. I have tried, I believe, the suggestions you have made, but still no success. Just in case I screwed up, here is what I have tried: I am running Win 98SE. I put in C:\Windows\ApplicationData\Thunderbird\Profiles\wshtx0h4.Robert M. Lambe, Ph.D\chrome a file named userChrome.css with contents consisting entirely of:

#attachmentView {
height: 40px !important;

I also put a copy of this file in C:\Windows\ApplicationData\Thunderbird\Profiles\Chrome, but no evident change to the thick list of attachments (various .gif files) taking up a couple of inches at the bottom of the screen. I also tried 10px instead of 40.
Have I done something identifiably wrong?

Thanks, Robert
vreppeto

Post by vreppeto »

My scroll bar did not show in the attachments.

I found two locations for the userchrome.css file:
C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\vreppeto\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\uuff5fkf.default\chrome
and
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\chrome

I deleted both and inserted the code :

#attachmentView {
height: 65px !important;

and saved it to:

C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\vreppeto\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\uuff5fkf.default\chrome

no other code is included in my usechrome.css

Hope this is useful.

Thanx,

Victor Reppeto
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

It appears that you have it in the right place. See 'Locate your profile folder' to make sure depending on what OS your using.

Also make sure the file name is correct. It is case sensitive, so it should be userChrome.css. Notice the capital C.

See PM.
dsammy

Attachment pane resize failure

Post by dsammy »

I downloaded latest version of Thunderbird and to my chagrin the attachment pane is at least 9 lines too much (should be only 1 line scrollable) after replacing hard drive with new one.

All the codes set forth in the forum so far did not work to resize the oversized attachment pane back to one scrollable line.

I even tried to put it n where it should be, none worked.

Documents and Settings/myname/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/chrome/userChrome.css

even in other directory didn't help
Program Files/Mozilla Thunderbird/chrome/userChrome.css

desperate to reduce the way-oversized attachment pane

dsamy :^(
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

dsammy, dragging up a year old topic to reply with something off topic won't get you any help. Start a new topic with your question.
dsammy

Attachment pane resize failure - not a off topic

Post by dsammy »

[quote="Daifne"]dsammy, dragging up a year old topic to reply with something off topic won't get you any help. Start a new topic with your question.[/quote]

It is not off topic at all. I am talking about the very problem of attachment pane resizing. I did not have the problem a year ago when Thunderbird came out and the code did work then.

I tried all 3 different codes including the first one.

So the question is where is userChrome.css is supposed to be located in the directories I listed for my Thunderbird (it's a default theme in case you wonder.)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

A year old topic is almost always off topic because they were talking about a different Thunderbird version than is out now. Version 1.5.0.5 does not create the Chrome folder by default.
dsammy

you're not helpful

Post by dsammy »

[quote="Daifne"]A year old topic is almost always off topic because they were talking about a different Thunderbird version than is out now. Version 1.5.0.5 does not create the Chrome folder by default.[/quote]

You're not helpful. You have NOT suggested a solution to the problem.

And now the problem is valid because you brought up the fact the 1.5.0.5 does not create the folder by default. What about those first time users just now and they don't realize the serious problem this pose now?

I read through whole forum and this has not solved the problem of resizing the attachment pane back to the scrollable pane.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Documents and Settings/myname/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/chrome/userChrome.css

You may have it in the right place, but just to check, the full path is C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\chrome\userChrome.css

Locate your profile folder
It should still work in Version 1.5.0.5.

Maybe get ChromEdit 2. It will add the folders and files for you. You'll see a menuitem under Tools to edit the files with.
dsammy

it worked

Post by dsammy »

[quote="bozz"][quote]
Documents and Settings/myname/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/chrome/userChrome.css [/quote]
You may have it in the right place, but just to check, the full path is C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\chrome\userChrome.css

[url=http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#profile]Locate your profile folder[/url]
It should still work in Version 1.5.0.5.

Maybe get [url=http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html#1]ChromEdit 2[/url]. It will add the folders and files for you. You'll see a menuitem under Tools to edit the files with.[/quote]

It worked, but the directory is
C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\chrome\userChrome.css

It was one more folder step further.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

Glad you got it figured out. :)
Guest7

Re: Attachments fill up the Window

Post by Guest7 »

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if there is a possibility to display the attachments in the message header space, like it used to be in Mozilla/Seamonkey? IMHO it makes perfect sense to have the attachments there, since the right part of that space usually isn't used at all...