Thunderbird Not Responding.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wsmwk

Re: Thunderbird Not Responding.

Post by wsmwk »

tpaulr wrote:When I run T'Bird or FF in safe mode, I always stop my anti-virus software.

That makes you a rare bird indeed. I've never had a user say they do this. :)

tpaulr wrote:As for drivers, they are all current, as far as I know, nothing new lately.

Nevertheless, testing in safe mode is an outstanding test.

tpaulr wrote:T'Bird has been this way since 15.0, if memory serves, maybe 16.0 - I haven't had any performance issues since early releases 3.X before that.

This would fit with some other reports of problems.

1. How big is your "All Mail" folder?
2. Do you frequently see in the status bar or (Tools) Activity Manager an indication that folders are being synced or brought up to date? Particularly in the the same time frame as "Not responding".
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

WSM:

My All Mail Folder is almost completely empty, about 10 emails or thereabouts. I keep the bulk of those I want to keep in "Local Folders".

Funny you mention this, though: Do you frequently see in the status bar or (Tools) Activity Manager an indication that folders are being synced or brought up to date? Particularly in the the same time frame as "Not responding".

Indeed - the past few releases of T'Bird always seem to be performing something, yes.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

which specific folder is being called out as being "Bringing folder XX up to date?" (activity manager) or "Downloading" (status bar)
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Usually it says "downloading to all mail" (something similar), so it's the all mail folder...Seems to be constant.

I have other Gmail IMAP accounts and they are set up in other email clients like Postbox and Spice Bird...I have no problems with these other email clients.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tpaulr wrote:Usually it says "downloading to all mail" (something similar), so it's the all mail folder...Seems to be constant.

I've been seeing something similar.

Perhaps your issue is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=815730 but unfortunately this bug is a bit ill-defined at the moment.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

WSM,

Wow! All of the things discussed are disturbingly familiar, from the lack of response to the 100% CPU usage for no apparent reason, and all other things in between.

It indicates that nobody is working on this, did I read that correctly?

Is this going to be the norm for T'Bird development since the announcement? (Maybe rhetorical)

I am very disturbed by T'Bird's overall performance and have started casting around for an alternative, but none to my liking yet. I need a strong Outlook-like client for business.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> It indicates that nobody is working on this, did I read that correctly?

ah, no. just take longer, especially for difficult bugs.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

wsm wrote:> It indicates that nobody is working on this, did I read that correctly?

I was looking at this:

"Assigned To: Nobody; OK to take it and work on it"
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tpaulr wrote:
wsm wrote:> It indicates that nobody is working on this, did I read that correctly?

I was looking at this:

"Assigned To: Nobody; OK to take it and work on it"

A "patch" is the ultimate signal of progress.

Conversely, lack of an assignee is not an indication of no one looking at it :) Many bugs are "in progress" but lack assignee.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

OK. Thanks.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Update...

I have been monitoring T'Bird carefully since I last posted and want to get everyone's feedback on this - my "not responding" is actually getting worse.

Here is what I am observing:

1. When I first boot up - I don't keep T'Bird open all the time - T'Bird immediately says "Not Responding", that's even before my messages are downloaded.

2. I have kept an eye on what T'Bird is doing from the second I boot up, and it invariably says "downloading X number of messages into all mail".

3. Once I get past this 'not responding" immediately upon boot up, the first message will begin to load. However, I get a new "not responding" message because the "downloading into all mail" starts again.

In other words, my T'Bird seems to be in a constant mode of doing something and in constant conflict.

This never happened before T'Bird 15.

My T'Bird is constantly freezing and hanging.

Did Gmail IMAP change?

Did T'Bird change the order of processing?

I use a number of other gecko-engine email clients, and none of them do this - they are all Gmail IMAP accounts like this one, with much more activity/volume then my T'Bird set up, much more activity because of the nature of what I use them for.

T'Bird now acts more like Outlook, constantly thrashing, constantly processing.

I keep few emails in my Inbox, at most about 25 at any one time, move them to local folders immediately if I keep them, keep trash, sent items, draft, etc. folders empty and I compact multiple times/day.

Any ideas on how to change all this?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What you reports sounds very much like what can happen if a firewall does not recognize that the updated version of Thunderbird is the same application as the older version. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

DanRaisch wrote:What you reports sounds very much like what can happen if a firewall does not recognize that the updated version of Thunderbird is the same application as the older version. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls

perhaps. but in this case the data successfully downloads.

However, there are other users (not large numbers) reporting similar issues with gmail. The cause is not yet determined.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Interesting...

I checked the Windows Firewall settings and Thunderbird wasn't even in the list of exceptions.

I added T'Bird, so let's see what happens and I'll get back.

Thanks.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Update:

Adding T'Bird to the Firewall didn't do anything - the lack of response remains, in fact, given the amount of work I had to do this morning it's actually worse - it's just a constant battle waiting for T'Bird to finish processing something, downloading, loading a message, loading an attachment, saving an attachment, and etc. - it has really diminished my productivity, this lack of response.

I also posted a new topic because another problem reared its ugly head...

I am frustrated.