Thunderbird not working in Windows 8

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wzhihai

Re: Thunderbird not working in Windows 8

Post by wzhihai »

same problem, I don't know why, but if you disable the email protect of NIS, then everything is ok. but here is no problem when I use win xp with NIS Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It seems that Norton may be blocking Thunderbird's access to the Internet -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
digitalreins

Post by digitalreins »

I am having the same issue after upgrading to windows 8. I am using Avast as an antivirus. I am about uninstall it and see if that fixes the problem.
digitalreins

Post by digitalreins »

I uninstalled avast and thunderbird is working fine. I am wondering what other antivirus programs conflict with it now.......
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Avast works with Thunderbird, just don't implement the email shield and it should resolve your issues.
sabremeister

Post by sabremeister »

It is interesting that the last post on this particular thread was last February.
I bought a new machine in Dec '12 and got it running with W8 over the Xmas/New Year period. T'bird worked fine until around June when I encountered the same sort of symptoms mentioned. Emails already in the base Inbox would not display although those in sub-folders do. Downloading of new ones impossible - same hanging if attempted. Emails send fine, address book is there. Opening a new draft email sometimes causes a temporary hang before it decides to work.
Like others I uninstalled T'bird and downloaded a clean version. Everything re-instated in the way of addresses and settings without resorting to the back up made before uninstallation. BUT no change to the way it worked (or didn't)
Rather than try to fix it (when I explained what I done myself to try to recover it) my IT guru simply suggested Windows Mail on the basis that by logging in to my a/c I can use the same settings anywhere. However, I find it the most frustrating and unfriendly application and several weeks after first trying to use it I am little nearer to getting it set up how I want - I can't even find out if I can do some of the things regarding folders that I want to - and still haven't succeeded in even importing my address book.
So I would prefer to go back to being able to use T''bird and not have to resort to buying Outlook or something.
Surely there must be a solution.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird works just fine with Windows 8.1 and thus probably with 8.0.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Thunderbird application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which one(s)?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choices for "Connection security" and "Authentication method" under Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)