Thunderbird Slow 17.0.5

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bluelightit

Thunderbird Slow 17.0.5

Post by bluelightit »

Hello, My Thunderbird seems to constantly slow down to the point inhibiting my productivity. Now when i say slow i mean i click on an email wait 30 seconds and it might load switching tabs takes 5 -10 seconds and in general any basic function seems to take forever.

My issue started about 2 weeks ago in that time i have tried 2 different fixes for Thunderbird both of which temporarily solved the problem for 3-5 days before the issues returned.

I've disabled my Addons
I've compacted my Folders (overall i have about 30 IMAP folders)

My total inbox size on the server is 7.9 GB out of 25 GB i archive my mail on an annual basis

I Need a solution that lasts Please help.
rais

Re: Thunderbird Slow 17.0.5

Post by rais »

, My Thunderbird seems to constantly slow down to the point inhibiting my productivity. Now when i say slow i mean i click on an email wait 30 seconds and it might load switching tabs takes 5 -10 seconds and in general any basic function seems to take forever..

is there any message in the left side of the Status bar to indicate what Thunderbird is doing?
bluelightit

Post by bluelightit »

Not that i can see, it just seems to take a long time to respond to any user input. it usually freezes up almost goes into a unresponsive program state then opens what ever it was you were trying to access.
rais

Post by rais »

your frequently-used folders should be small folders. The Inbox is most frequently-used and should be smallest. It should be kept empty

enable Auto Compact
bluelightit

Post by bluelightit »

Okay i'll review the size of my folders and see if i can make my inbox smaller. and enable auto compact thanks for the help
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy bluelightit,

in addition to what rais recommended, you may want to try disabling global indexing. that is here ...
- tools/options/advanced/general/advanced-configuration
- UN-check [] enable global search indexer

another thing to try is to disable operating system search. that is here ...
- tools/options/advanced/general/system-integration
- UN-check [] allow windows search to search msgs

take care,
lee
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

bluelightit wrote:Hello, My Thunderbird seems to constantly slow down to the point inhibiting my productivity. Now when i say slow i mean i click on an email wait 30 seconds and it might load switching tabs takes 5 -10 seconds and in general any basic function seems to take forever.

My issue started about 2 weeks ago in that time i have tried 2 different fixes for Thunderbird both of which temporarily solved the problem for 3-5 days before the issues returned.

I've disabled my Addons
I've compacted my Folders (overall i have about 30 IMAP folders)

My total inbox size on the server is 7.9 GB out of 25 GB i archive my mail on an annual basis

I Need a solution that lasts Please help.

Given the *sudden* change in behavior I'd say it was instigated by something other than thunderbird, like maybe antivirus.
Running McAfee?

You may gain performance by using other suggestions, but if the change was indeed sudden then they are not the proximate cause.