Login to server failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PeterRobertson

Login to server failed

Post by PeterRobertson »

I have been using the same email server for years without problems until just over a week ago.
Receiving email works without difficulty, but suddenly, after successfully sending several emails, Thunderbird started to respond with "Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com failed.". Retrying or resending the password usually has no effect.

I have discovered that I can send email occasionally; waiting a while after a failure and retrying sometimes lets the email through. More often than not, the failure appears to be solid.

I have contacted VirginMedia and they have checked my settings and have confirmed that they are all correct.
The last I had from them was that they are 'looking into it', but I have little confidence that that was anything but a polite "get lost" message.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong with Thunderbird? I am running V17.0.7
DanRaisch

Re: Login to server failed

Post by DanRaisch »

If you have Thunderbird set to store the password(s) for that account, try the following:

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.

If you don't have the password(s) saved for automatic entry, what security software are you using on that system?
PeterRobertson

Post by PeterRobertson »

I have already tried deleting saved passwords - nothing changes.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:If you don't have the password(s) saved for automatic entry, what security software are you using on that system?
PeterRobertson

Post by PeterRobertson »

I answered only the first part of your response as I am using saved passwords.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, but since you've already tried deleting the passwords, that second question now become of more interest.
PeterRobertson

Post by PeterRobertson »

I am using AVG Internet security Business Edition
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, in that case, make certain that AVG is set to NOT scan outgoing emails.
PeterRobertson

Post by PeterRobertson »

It is Disabled for outgoing messages
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The intermittent nature of the problem and having ruled out an invalid saved password or anti-virus scanning delay, it seems that issues on the server side are more likely than a problem in Thunderbird. As the settings in Thunderbird don't change between outgoing messages (at least not without user interaction), it's hard to see how sending would be successful one time but not another, particularly with the same outgoing message, unless there are issues on the receiving side of the outgoing process.
PeterRobertson

Post by PeterRobertson »

Thanks for your comments. That was my conclusion.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. And good luck.
VincentC

Post by VincentC »

Hello,

I have the same problem as PeterRobertson on the same version of the TB: 17.0.7.

I can not send e-mail since yesterday: "Connect to smtpa.xxxx.com server failed."
In my business, at least one person uses the same version of Thunderbird has no problem on the same smtpa with the same password.

The problem appeared without changes on my computer, I tried to delete all passwords, but nothing changes.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you for your replies.
Vincent
PeterRobertson

Post by PeterRobertson »

Assuming that xxxx in the previous message is not VirginMedia, this extra information suggests that the problem is in Thunderbird as different servers are unlikely suddenly to exhibit the same fault.

Intermittent symptoms like these suggest strongly that there's an unassigned variable lurking in the code.

Is there any way to turn on monitoring to see exactly what is happening between Thunderbird and the server?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »