Thunderbird 24 "Not responding"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Camelbreath

Re: Thunderbird 24 "Not responding"

Post by Camelbreath »

Actually, the problem has returned here. I am hoping with the next update, something can be done ... or someone in the programming end can do some sort of fix.
Joe
Joe Dempsey
Ol' boy from LA (Lower Arkansas)
Camelbreath

Post by Camelbreath »

Is it possible to download the previous version of TB and install?
TNX,
Joe
Joe Dempsey
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Before reverting to an older version of Thunderbird I would try replacing McAfee. See how many people resolved "Thunderbird performance problems" by switching off things in McAfee or getting rid of that security software altogether. There are other security software options, several of them freeware, that will work without issues caused by McAfee.
Camelbreath

Post by Camelbreath »

My issue is I do not want to stop and completely re-organize an my network setup on McAfee to accommodate one program with what is probably a temporary problem, so my question remains, is there a way to grab older versions of TB and will they recognize my address books, saved messages, etc.?
Thanks,
Joe
Joe Dempsey
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're missing the point that the problem is not with Thunderbird at all. McAfee seem to not be identifying the update as simply a new version of a permitted program. It will be up to McAfee to fix things.

See this site for older versions -- ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/t ... /releases/
Camelbreath

Post by Camelbreath »

I registered on the McAfee forum, sent a message and got this reply as a fix:
Correct AnswerRe: Thunderbird and McAfee are not friends

https://community.mcafee.com/message/308811#308811
1. Can be worked around by unselecting email attachment scanning in real time scanner settings. When opening the attachment still you are is protected by the scanner.
2. Supposedly issue fixed last update seemed to have been for me though some still have other issues. This seems to happen every TB update.

It works.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe Dempsey
Werbs

Post by Werbs »

I'm having the same issue described by others. I also tried uninstalling Thunderbird and re-installing. Worked perfectly for 24 hours. Now, it's hanging up again. Has there been a fix for this problem? Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you also using McAfee on that system? If not you may not have "the same issue."
Werbs

Post by Werbs »

Yes, I'm using McAfee. It came with this new computer. I'm thinking of getting rid of it if it solves the problem. Any fixes that work otherwise?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Based on what folks have posted here, the fix is to get rid of McAfee or try to tweak its settings to get things working.
Werbs

Post by Werbs »

By Tweaking, do you mean getting rid of plug-ins or add ons?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I meant changing settings in McAffee or dumping any extra programs, toolbars, etc. that might be on your system as part of McAfee's installation.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Hampshirelad wrote:I am getting all these exact problems using Windows 7 and Microsoft Essential virus software. I have tried all the options mentioned to date on this post. The problem started the same time as "Camelbreath" and I guess for the same reason
Is there anyone out there who can solve this please - Do you read these posts Mozilla ?????

Start Windows in safe mode with networking enabled. In windows safe mode, start Thunderbird in safe mode. If Thunderbird works without complaint, then the problem is your AV software.

Same goes for camelbreath
Taffster

Post by Taffster »

I have TB 24.1.0 and it's abysmal. Takes forever to move e mails to trash, unable to do anything else and frequently have to quit program.

I am running Windows 7 professional with bitdefender AV. Used to be ok, computer has not changed so problem is obviously with TB
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Taffster, please start a new topic rather than hijack this one.