Thunderbird 24 "Not responding"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
redriver

Re: Thunderbird 24 "Not responding"

Post by redriver »

I found an earlier version of Thunderbird - 17.0.8 - and have been using it a few hours without any "not responding" incidents.

There is a new issue with it, though. It tries to update itself automatically when launched for a session. I have been able to stop it so far. It is working a WHOLE LOT BETTER and faster than 24+ did.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear that.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

redriver wrote:I found an earlier version of Thunderbird - 17.0.8 - and have been using it a few hours without any "not responding" incidents.

There is a new issue with it, though. It tries to update itself automatically when launched for a session. I have been able to stop it so far. It is working a WHOLE LOT BETTER and faster than 24+ did.

Thanks for that information.

How many accounts do you have?
How many accounts are pop?
redriver

Post by redriver »

One account on this computer. It is a pop account.
Peghall

Post by Peghall »

I'm having the same problem since being forcibly "upgraded" to 24.3. I do NOT have MacAfee, nor have I EVER used McAfee.

I've used Thunderbird for nearly 10 years without problems...now suddenly, it stops responding at every mouse click. I've tried disabling add ons..didn't help. I've run all my HD maintenance, firewall, spyware, malware, registry and antivirus software twice...didn't help. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it...didn't help. I've uninstalled it again, this time attempting to remove every trace of it. Decided to come here before attempting to install it again. So how DO I fix this????

PC in my home office, running Windows 7 Home Premium, direct connect to ISP...POP and SMTP mail handling ... not archiving or otherwise saving zillions of emails...Have had NO problems till V 24.3.

And btw, I also use Firefox...have since the days when it was Netscape.

Thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Peghall wrote: I uninstalled it and reinstalled it...didn't help.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate. When you did the uninstall, did you also delete the profile data? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
Peghall

Post by Peghall »

yes. Failed to do that the first time, but cleaned off every TRACE of T-bird the second time.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Peghall wrote:I'm having the same problem since being forcibly "upgraded" to 24.3. I do NOT have MacAfee, nor have I EVER used McAfee.

Which version were you running immediately prior to 24.3.0? 24.2.0? or 17.0.x?

(BTW, the forced update process will be fixed)

Peghall wrote:PC in my home office, running Windows 7 Home Premium, direct connect to ISP...POP and SMTP mail handling ... not archiving or otherwise saving zillions of emails...Have had NO problems till V 24.3.

any gmail accounts?

Start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- win7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -safe-mode

Still in Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/safe-mode

Does problem go away?

- If no, then problem is either: bug in Thunderbird, in your Thunderbird profile, your mail provider. Please post into topic the contents of Help | Troubleshooting | copy text to clipboard

- If yes (problem went away), then still in Windows safe mode ... start Thunderbird normally
-- If problem is still gone, then cause is a program loaded during windows startup. Possibilities include: antivirus SW, virus/malware, background downloads such as program updates
-- If problem is NOT gone, then cause is likely a Thunderbird addon - eliminate them by disabling each one at a time in Tools | addons | extensions and restarting

- If results are unclear ... possibilities include temporary conditions such as contention from other running programs, downloads related to windows update, ...

Please let us know your findings.
Peghall

Post by Peghall »

Whatever the last version from which I was automatically upgraded to 24.3 (glad to know THAT's being fixed!)

I have a gmail account that I've used exclusively since shortly after it was first introduced...in the days when you needed an invitation to join. Hasn't caused me any problems til now--even though google hasn't liked POP and SMTP for years.

Start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- win7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -safe-mode
Still in Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/safe-mode
Does problem go away?

Nope

then problem is either: bug in Thunderbird, in your Thunderbird profile, your mail provider.

Defintely NOT my mail provider...that would have shown up long before now. My money is on a bug in T'bird 24.3 'cuz too many people are experiencing the same problem with it.

I'm gonna try a "clean" install (waited to do that till I saw what solution(s) were offered here)...if that doesn't work, I still have the 16.01 version in my downloads file...I'll reinstall it if I can without T'bird automatically upgrading me.

Thanks for trying!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Peghall wrote:

Whatever the last version from which I was automatically upgraded to 24.3

That's not terribly helpful of course. It could be either of those that I mentioned, or something even older.
See Tools | options | advanced | update | show update history

Peghall wrote:
then problem is either: bug in Thunderbird, in your Thunderbird profile, your mail provider.

Defintely NOT my mail provider...that would have shown up long before now. My money is on a bug in T'bird 24.3 'cuz too many people are experiencing the same problem with it.

Many people can, and do, have many different causes for the same symptom. This symptom specifically has at least half dozen causes. Little doubt you are in one of those buckets, the question is which bucket? (which informs what the potential solution might be)
Peghall

Post by Peghall »

That's not terribly helpful of course.

Really??? Since T'bird automatically downloads and installs new "updated" (and often buggy!) versions about every 15 minutes it seems, it's a very safe bet that unless that highly irritating process is interfered with--and I've made it obvious that it wasn't--the previous version had to be the most recent...which would be 24.2.

A completely "clean" install SEEMS to have solved the problem...for now, anyway. I installed 16.01..and even before I finished setup it immediately "upgraded" itself to 24.3...and it's still working as it should. So MAYBE the problem was in 24.0, .1. or. 2 . We'll just have to see. If problems do return, I'll know which version I upgraded from.

Meanwhile, thanks to all who offered constructive suggestions!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Peghall wrote:
That's not terribly helpful of course.

Really??? Since T'bird automatically downloads and installs new "updated" (and often buggy!) versions about every 15 minutes it seems, it's a very safe bet that unless that highly irritating process is interfered with--and I've made it obvious that it wasn't--the previous version had to be the most recent...which would be 24.2.

Some people turn off their updates. So yes, stating that the previous version was 24.2 would in fact be more clear. Or, you could check using the instructions I provided. (which might however be voided if you installed TB AFTER having updated it)

Peghall wrote:A completely "clean" install SEEMS to have solved the problem...for now, anyway. I installed 16.01..and even before I finished setup it immediately "upgraded" itself to 24.3...and it's still working as it should. So MAYBE the problem was in 24.0, .1. or. 2 . We'll just have to see. If problems do return, I'll know which version I upgraded from.

I'm not saying the problem was not THunderbird, but your last comment may in fact point to some other software being the cause. It is known that installing Thunderbird on windows can in fact force other software, for example AV software, to properly recognize the new TB version where an update failed to do so. (in other words, a TB updates sometimes fails to register with other software that wants to know about such updates, and make internal adjustments to their software).
Peghall

Post by Peghall »

Well, now T'bird has developed a new problem: it takes FOREVER to respond to any command--delete, reply, or just open the next email. It's not the same "no longer responding" problem as before, it's just combing its hair, checking it's make-up and powdering its nose before it does ANYthing. I've run every bit of protective software I own (SuperAntispyware, SpyHunter, RegHunter, Malwarebytes, and Bitdefender) even though it all runs automatically once a week, each on a different day to avoid conflict). No problems in any other program or any web pages... Am I gonna have to run yet another completely clean install to cure this one?

These problems are doubly irritating because I've run FF and TB for nearly 10 years without ANY problems...now suddenly problems are sprouting like weeds. Anybody got any ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software are you running for real time scanning/firewall protection? What you describe sounds exactly like what can happen when an anti-virus or firewall software fails to recognize a Thunderbird update as the same software that was previously authorized to access the Internet.
retexan599

Post by retexan599 »

I am having the ‘Not Responding’ problem as discussed in this thread. I am a relative newcomer to Thunderbird, only since December 22, 2013. It does not occur with every session, but can be several times a day. The most common action I am taking when it stops responding is a delete function. My situation:
-Windows 8.1 desktop.
-Current TB version is Thunderbird 24.4.0.
-There were two TB updates installed since I started: one on February 5, 2014, and the other on March 18, 2014. It is set to update automatically.
-My email is a POP account.
-I run Compact Folders fairly often.
-I am running Thunderbird with add-ons, extensions and plug-ins disabled, and the issue occurs with or without add-ons enabled.
-I am running Thunderbird in TB Safe Mode.
-My A/V is Windows Defender. Do not have and never have had McAfee which is often mentioned here.
-I use the Windows Firewall.
-there are relatively few emails in any of my folders.

There are ‘AppHang’ Report Archives like this on my C: drive.
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_thunderbird.exe_42b275fc2dd4fd8e5bb8e0acaeaaea014b74ac5_272a9cac_37ece532

The first report was on 12/30/2013 and continued frequently until 1/27/2014. Then there are no reports until 3/14/2014, and they continue frequently since then until now. Friday, March 21, 2014. Does not seem to be a correlation with the above updates.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.