[SOLVED]Benefit of "Watch Thread" feature

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mbnoimi

[SOLVED]Benefit of "Watch Thread" feature

Post by mbnoimi »

Howdy,

Sorry for silly question. What's the benefit of "Watch Thread" feature? I can't receive any notification or anything in case I set the root of thread to be watched!!!

Last edited by mbnoimi on December 18th, 2013, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Benefit of "Watch Thread" feature

Post by tanstaafl »

"Marking a thread as "watched" puts a "eye" icon in the message list pane beside the first post of the thread. You can then filter on watched threads with unread messages via the View > Threads menu."

You used to only be able to watch/ignore News threads, not ordinary email, or RSS feeds. Apparently TB24 added that feature for ordinary mail.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

i am personally all for this. We deal a great deal with evolving regulatory issues which includes emails from the regulators, the users and ua as the software provider. Being able to follow a thread rather then depending on purely CCs in a god send as far as I am concerned.,
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Right, watching does not generate "notifications". But You can set view to View | Threads | Watched
mbnoimi

Post by mbnoimi »

Thanks guys for the clarification.
MozillaMonkey

Re: [SOLVED]Benefit of "Watch Thread" feature

Post by MozillaMonkey »

STill trying to get a handle on controlling the messages I want to read/see.
Watch seems to be the right direction.

BUT, how do I quickly (key shortcut) filter ONLY watched threads with new messages, and then show ALL threads after that?
flyaway3

Post by flyaway3 »

After reading lot of posts I still don't understand the benefit of this feature.

Why is it good for me that a thread is marked watched? What does that do?

And what makes a thread watched? I just recently got my first mail thread that features the eye icon and it seems that it was set to be "watched" by itself when I received it.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

flyaway3 wrote:After reading lot of posts I still don't understand the benefit of this feature.

Why is it good for me that a thread is marked watched? What does that do?

And what makes a thread watched? I just recently got my first mail thread that features the eye icon and it seems that it was set to be "watched" by itself when I received it.
Before I answer, let's first establish whether you are talking about Thunderbird's e-mail or Newsgroup messages?
I ask because you said "mail thread".