Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wsmwk

Re: Thunderbird 24.4.0 Not Responding

Post by wsmwk »

I seriously doubt that any of the compatibility modes by itself is causing Thunderbird code to behave differently. Far more likely is that compat mode causes other software, like antivirus, to behave differently with respect to Thunderbird. (But I am open to the idea of being proved wrong)

rick7 wrote:Since I switched to running Thunderbird in XP compatibility mode, I'm not getting the "Not responding" error but I think that's only because that specific error message only came into being with Windows 7!

I don't think so.

rick7 wrote:I think Thunderbird is still freezing and not responding but it just isn't telling me this in so many words.

You would notice, because you would not be able to do anything in thunderbird while it is frozen.

rick7 wrote:I'll try disabling some aspects of McAfee as suggested in one of the referenced articles and see if that makes a difference. I have a feeling it will.

Please tell us.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

mitsou wrote:it's part and parcel of using shaw in winnipeg, manitoba. thank you for the directions to change compatibility mode. i will try and see if it makes a difference as it really is driving me crazy.

mitsou, what did you find?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rick7 wrote:Since I switched to running Thunderbird in XP compatibility mode, I'm not getting the "Not responding" error but I think that's only because that specific error message only came into being with Windows 7! I think Thunderbird is still freezing and not responding but it just isn't telling me this in so many words.

I'll try disabling some aspects of McAfee as suggested in one of the referenced articles and see if that makes a difference. I have a feeling it will.

rick7, what did you find?
rick7

Post by rick7 »

It worked great for a month. Turning off scanning of email attachments completely took care of the "Not responding" problems. Then a few days ago, all of a sudden the problem has returned. I have no idea why. I think there was a McAfee update but I checked and still have email attachment scanning turned off but the problem has returned.

And even more weirdly, I have McAfee on my desktop as well as my laptop but only have the problem on my laptop.
mitsou

Post by mitsou »

sorry it took me so long to respond. there has been little difference to how thunderbird is behaving. am looking at other email clients but haven't had time to do any installs. am really done with this app.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

rick7 wrote:It worked great for a month. Turning off scanning of email attachments completely took care of the "Not responding" problems. Then a few days ago, all of a sudden the problem has returned. I have no idea why. I think there was a McAfee update but I checked and still have email attachment scanning turned off but the problem has returned.

And even more weirdly, I have McAfee on my desktop as well as my laptop but only have the problem on my laptop.

Is it still Thunderbird 24?

Start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled
- win8 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -safe-mode
Still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode
- http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/safe-mode

Does problem go away?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

mitsou wrote:sorry it took me so long to respond. there has been little difference to how thunderbird is behaving. am looking at other email clients but haven't had time to do any installs. am really done with this app.

When roughly did you start having slowness?
And, windows safe mode did not help?