unable to send any messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
derekpayne

unable to send any messages

Post by derekpayne »

I am using version 29 which is fully up to date, but all of a sudden I cannot send any mail using all three of my pc's, yet if I use Pegasus Mail or Outlook Express everything works fine, I have checked and double checked the settings and all is as they should be.

Has Thunderbird been altered lately?

I can receive mail OK.

Cheers
DanRaisch

Re: unable to send any messages

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no version 29 for Thunderbird as yet, unless you are using a pre-release/beta version. Check under Help->About Thunderbird to confirm which version you are using.

Did Thunderbird just update to the version you are currently using?
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

The one at home is 29 the one on my laptop is 24.5
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please post a screen shot of what you see using menu path Help->About Thunderbird on the machine at home. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

Hi

Hopefully the screen shot is at this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/936 ... .47.12.png

Cheers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're using a beta, not a release build. The appropriate place to get help on non-release builds is the Thunderbird Builds forum, because most people in this forum are using the release build and don't know anything about the additional problems in beta, earlybird and daily builds. I moved the thread from TB support to TB builds.

Sometimes its useful to keep a copy of a release build installed in a separate directory so that you can easily test whether your problem is due to the beta or not, using the same profile.
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

I understand what your saying, but my laptop and my wife's netbook are both running the release build 24.5 with the same fault
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, that sort of confirms tanstaafl's point. It may be an issue with the pre-release version of the program that you have been using. Is there a specific reason that you are not using the current release version, 24.5.0?
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

Like I said, I am using the current release version 24.5.0 on both my laptop and my Wife's netbook, and they all have the same fault, it is not just my home pc that cannot send mail.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You mention it also occurs with a release build. If your settings are fine then its typically either a firewall issue (if you recently updated your firewall may be too dumb to ask permission to apply the rules to the new .exe) or due to a anti-virus program/security program update. Normally failing to send a message generates a error message. You don't have any?

I moved the thread back to Thunderbird Support. You should have mentioned it also occurred with 24.5 in your original post.
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

I have uninstalled Zone Alarm and tested it, still no good, I also disabled Windows Firewall, still no good.

I have AVG free installed, could that cause the problem although the firewall is not enabled?

Any more suggestions would be gratefully received?

Cheers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the full text of any error message when trying to send?
Can you download and read new mail?

I suggest you re-enable one of the firewalls. If you don't configure AVG Free to scan your outgoing email then it isn't the culprit.
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

I have checked AVG and the outgoing checking of emails is disabled, below is a link for the error message that I get when I try to send.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/936 ... .19.24.png

Incidently I can send mail OK using either Outlook Express or Pegasus Mail, so the fault lies withing Thunderbird.

Cheers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is the password for that account saved in Thunderbird so that it is automatically submitted?

If so, go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
derekpayne

Post by derekpayne »

did exactly as you suggested, problem is still there.